What's new

Older RPTV question (1 Viewer)

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I was recently given an old Pioneer RPTV with problems. My gut instinct is to tear into it and see whats inside, but I know the best thing to do would be to take this tv to a repair shop. I don't like going into any shop without having some knowledge to back up my questions, and to keep from getting the big *&$%$ .. That said, I would like to know if any of you all have seen this before and what you found to be the problem. That way, if the repair man wants to do me wrong, I will at least be able to back out of any unecessary charges. The RPTV was working great for quite some time. It is not a HD model, but does have quite a few connection options. The problem is seemingly overnight, a red line appeared about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen, and there is no red color in that 1/3.. I don't know much, but I am guessing that their are three color guns, and that the red one is shot... Have you all seen or heard of this before? Am I right with my assumption of the problem? Are replacement guns inexpensive, in comparison to a brand new TV.. Don't want to spend much on something I could easily throw away.. Thanks for any info you all can give me...

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Red line across the screen near the bottom and no red coloration below it...
You have a circuitry problem, that which gradually moves the electron beam down the CRT face as it sweeps from side to side. THe red "gun" is not shot yet... BUT
Turn your contrast way down, to less than 1/5, until you get this fixed. Watch TV in a really dark room if needed. The bright red line near the bottom is burning the phosphors on the CRT face at that point.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
If it had been viewed like this for any considerable amount of time, would it be safe to say that the CRT is beyond repair??? Worth buying new one over paying the amount needed to fix this one?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If it had been viewed like this for any considerable amount of time, would it be safe to say that the CRT is beyond repair??? Worth buying new one over paying the amount needed to fix this one?
To determine this, you'd have to either get the circuitry problem fixed so the red displays "normal" and see if there's discoloration where the bright red line was before, or you'd have to stick your head inside and shine a flashlight into the red lens (with the set off) to see if you can see the phosphor burn that way.

If the CRT is burned, you're looking at probably $300-400 to replace it, plus whatever repairs are needed to fix the deflection problem that caused the burn in the first place.

KJP

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Deciding whether to fix or junk this TV is a tough call.

You will not be able to prove how good the convergence can be until after the deflection problem is fixed and the contrast raised to normal levels. With a TV this old you might find that convergence within manufacturer's spec's of that day is not good enough for you.

If the CRT is not obviously burned as seen by poking your head inside with the TV turned off, you won't be able to prove it really is not burned until the deflection problem is fixed.

If just the red CRT is replaced, there is a chance that reconverging will be more difficult.

This TV is more of a candidate for a children's rumpus room where you just fix the deflection problem and live with the shadow caused by the CRT burn, as opposed to a serious home theater.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
The level of information found on this forum, and supplied by its members never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for your information, advice, and assistance in helping me decide what to do with this gift. I plan on moving from my large direct view to either a RPTV or a FP setup, depending on our living situation when that time comes. So for now, I will tear this one apart to see what makes it tick, remove anything I find worthy of a junk/excess stash, and throw the rest away. Maybe for X-mas Santa will grace our family with a "working" model. I will do what I can to help out those seeking knowledge/help in the HTPC section, since I work with computers, and pass along the great team effort you guys showed me hear. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks