What's new

Older receiver, subwoofer out? (1 Viewer)

BlakeH

Auditioning
I have an older receiver, it's a Yamaha. I also have a powered subwoofer. It does not have the subwoofer out, but I'm wondering if it might have been labeled something else on older receivers that would still give it's powered ability?

BlakeH

Auditioning
Ugh, forgot to mention that it does support Dolby ProLogic. However, it does NOT support DD, or DTS.

The only reason current receivers have subwoofer outputs is that the dolby 5.1 has a channel for the subwoofer. Pro Logic has no subwoofer channel, and unless Yamaha added some proprietary decoding, you are (semi) out of luck. It looks like you have to go line or speaker level inputs.

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator
My older sony receiver has a mono out that I use to hook up my subwoofer. If yours doesn't, using left and right preouts and running your other speakers small could be used. If you don't have preouts, use the speaker level inputs on your sub.

Note: using the speaker level connection does not make the sub passive, and draw power from the reciever. The conection is high impedence, and will not affect your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks