Older pre-pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Driscoll, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Now that I have my Sherbourn power amp in place, I need to start looking for a pre-pro that I can afford. Of course, the Outlaw 950 immediately comes to mind, but there are some potential issues there, like the global settings, etc. I am still seriously considering the 950, but I would like to have some options. Another point is that I don't need 6.1/7.1 capability. I don't have the speakers and couldn't install them even if I did, there isn't any space.
    What I do need is a HT pre-pro that does music well (true analog bypass) for less than $1K and I would also like it to have DLP-II. So I started thinking, maybe there are some very musical, but older 5.1 pre-pros that have dropped into my price range on the used market? And perhaps some of them can be upgraded to add DPL-II?
    Is there such a pre-pro out there, or is this a pipe dream? Or in my price range maybe I should be looking at a used flagship receiver instead of a pre-pro?

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Dan: I can't think of any sub $1K 5.1 pre-pro that does DPL2.

3. Jimmie Lee

Jimmie Lee Extra

Dan,
    I would highly recommend the Citation 7.0. It is completely analog and very good for both music and movies. It does not have DPL2, but it does have Fosgate's six-axis which I think is just as good if not better than DPL2. Based on your description of what you are looking for, I think that the Citation would meet or exceed your expectations. You can pick up one used for between $600 to $900.
    Check out this link for user reviews:
    http://www.audioreview.com/A-V,Pream...3_2719crx.aspx
    I have owned mine for 5 years, and I have been extremely happy with it. PM or email me if you would like to know more about the Citation 7.0.
    Regards

4. Dan Driscoll

Jimmie,
    The Citation site redirects to the Madrigal site. However, Madrigal doesn't seem to have any Citation info on the site. Do you know where I can see specs and maybe download the owner manual?
    I also noticed the 5.0 processor, which does have DD/DTS, in addition to the 6-Axis modes. It looks pretty good and that might be a more suitable alternative, because I do like DTS movies.
    BTW, does anyone know if the 5.0 and/or 7.0 have 6 channel inputs for SACD/DVD-A?

5. Jimmie Lee

Jimmie Lee Extra

Dan,
    Try this link for specs...
    http://www.citation-audio.com/cit70.html
    I wouldn't recommend the 5.0. It is 5.1 capable, but the software is buggy. Even the manufacturer discourages people from buying it.
    The 7.0 does not have inputs for SACD/DVD-A.
    I don't know where you might find the manual available for download. Do a google search for "Citation 7.0". You will probably get numerous hits.
    I have the 7.0 and it sounds very good. I also have the RDC-7, and with the exception of DTS and DD, the Citation holds its own with the RDC-7. If the RDC-7 had six-axis, which in my opinion sounds better than any other surround mode including DPL2, it would be the perfect processor for me.
    If you have any questions regarding the 7.0, feel free to send me an email.
    Regards.

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Dan, I have a feeling that there will be a coorelation with when the 950s arrive and when you seem a bunch of older very nice 5.1 pre-pros on the used market. I too am not really dying to have 6.1 or 7.1, so I will have my eyes open.

7. Dan Driscoll

Jimmie,
    Thanks for the link. The 7.0 does look very interesting and everyone who has reviewed the 6 Axis surround mode seems to like it very much. [​IMG] The only problem is that while my top priority is music, I only have one system and I'm not sure if I am willing to surrender DVD-A/SACD and DD/DTS capabilites, which I would have to do if I went with the Citation. [​IMG]
    I guess for the time being I'll hold on and see what happens once the Outlaw, Sherbourn and ATI pre-pros finally hit the streets. Or maybe someone suffering from a concussion will offer me an AVM-20 for $1K! [​IMG]