Older Pre/Pro or new Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zak Ruck, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Zak Ruck

Zak Ruck Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm in the process of upgrading my HT, and I've narrowed my speaker choices down to either Paradigm Studio's or Totem's. Not sure yet. But as I've been surfing the web, and reading reviews, I'm trying to decide whether to go with an older Pre/Pro that does DD and DTS as I'll be setting up a 5.1 system. I do not have the room for 6.1 and definatly not 7.1.

So, I'm looking at maybe getting a nice use Sherwood NewCastle AVP9080, with possibly matching amp, or maybe an older Rotel pre. Not sure yet. Or buy a new receiver, either Marantz SR7300, Sony 4ES, Denon 1082, NAD 752.

So, any ideas? I'd be using this system for about 60/40 HT to music.

Thanks,

Zak

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

If you are serious about music it should be a easy choice. Not only will the seperates perform better, but you will also have added flexibility down the road.

my take

-rob

3. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I'm not sure where your budget is.
    I see there is a Denon flagship AVR-5700 in the classifies area of this forum, asking price is $800.
    That is one heck of an receiver,
    Can also be used as a very nice pre-pro.
    The 5700 is a solid unit with 140w per and ultra THX.
    It comes with 7.1 inputs also, ready for SACD and DVD-A.
    I personally use one of these in our second system, we love it.

4. Zak Ruck

Zak Ruck Stunt Coordinator

Wow, not a bad price. My budget is aroun $800, so that fits the bill. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks.

5. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Why not get a new pre/pro? The Outlaw 950 is an incredible bargain at $899.00. It can hold its own with and outperform some "flagship" receivers. Yes, it has 6.1 and 7.1 but their use is optional.

6. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

If his budget is near that $800 with the purchase of the Outlaw 950, he would still need amplification that may put him well over his spending limits.
    A flagship AVR includes that amplification, One could probably purchase a AVR like this, use it for a year or so, and still sell without much of a loss, at $800 price this is below current selling prices by $200+.
    He may even get the seller to drop a few more $'s off as it looks like his post is inactive and most people look at the latest gimmicks available forgetting the fact that this was a near $3k unit just a few years ago.
    There has been plenty of great reports on the 5700 in the past, this may have been Denon's best effort in the receiver market place at the price point.
    This is just my $0.02 worth.

7. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Zac,, I can get you into a Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 and 2.1 (prepro and matching amp) for 800 plus shiping if you are interested.