Older Polks for Home Theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roscoe, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe Auditioning

Aug 21, 2002
    I haven't bought a stereo component in a number of years, and am taking my first steps into home theater. While my stereo setup is getting a little long in the tooth, I am still happy with it. It consists of a Harman Kardon receiver, Polk Monitor 10 speakers and a Nakamichi CD player (among other things). I still love those Polks!

I'm trying to figure out if I want to consolidate my audio and new home theater system into one, or keep them separate. If I consolidate, I will need to upgrade the receiver and match surrounds and center speaker (maybe
    subwoofer, maybe not) to my Polks. The Polk website even has a section which suggests the pieces that best match their vintage speakers. This leaves me with an unused receiver that will probably breed a whole new system in the basement. It would be impossible to audition this combination before buying, since my speakers are long since out of production.

If I keep the home theater separate (it's going in a different room than the one that the audio equipment is in now anyway) then I need all of the same plus front speakers. The difference in cash outlay for a complete 6
    piece speaker setup does not appear to be much different than buying the individual pieces to augment the existing speakers.

Any suggestions/thoughts on matching satellites to older audio speakers? The impedance on the Monitor 10's is 6 ohms, while the corresponding satellites would probably show 8 ohms.
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    i recall the old polks fondly...don't really have a personal answer for you but there's a forum over at polk's site where maybe you can get a good answer.
  3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Nov 23, 2001
    I am using a pair of Monitor 7s for my mains witha phantom center channel. I wonder what to do if I want to add a center channel speaker. I know the tweeters are different in the current center channel Polks, and this is what I would need to match. I also know that the tweeter used in my Polks is available, so if I wanted to build or have a speaker built, it would be possible. I guess I just answered my own question, didn't I?

This is not an immediate concern because I usually sit in the sweet spot and nobody likes to watch movies with me.

My wife doesn't like my taste in movies. (Spaghetti westerns and Godzilla flicks.)