What's new

Older ONKYO TX-SV414PRO (1 Viewer)

shannon414

Auditioning
Real Name
sharon
I have had this receiver since 1985. As far as the Surround effect it isn't giving me what I ever expected for the theater sound. Now I am in the market for HD LED 1080 TV. I have been looking for a decent 100watt receiver to replace mine. I noticed in the search engines there are ads for my same old receiver #. Is that a true they are still manufacturing it? As far as the TV I know I need a different audio out cable so getting a new receiver is a must. Anyone have any imput to explain model # of the receiver that I have and is Onkyo HT-430 5.1 a good choice or just a chance for the price? thanks

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shannon,
Welcome to HTF. Not certain, by your post what you are asking.
What I do gather is that you have a receiver that is that is well over
20 years old.
You are about to purchase a new LED display.
That 20+ year-old receiver is certainly no longer compatible. In fact,
it sounds as if you are finding places that are still manufacturing it,
which sounds quite impossible, given the fact that the technology is
so outdated.
You will need to buy a new receiver if you want to make the best
of the surround sound coming off of your DVD/Blu-ray player or display.
digital inputs and outputs weren't even imagined back in 1985. Today
HDMI is the standard.
Is this the new receiver you are looking at? It has gotten many
favorable reviews on Amazon. I would say, absolutely, go for it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The TX SV414Pro is not the same AVR as the new TX NR414. Not even close. It would help to know what components you are otherwise connecting to this theatre. The 414, then and now, are both basic AVR. Nothing wrong with a basic AVR as long as it meets your needs.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by shannon414
As far as the TV I know I need a different audio out cable so getting a new receiver is a must.
I agree that a new receiver is a must - but you should re-think your approach to connecting everything. With a new, modern AVR (audio/video receiver) your TV will no longer be the "hub" of the system.
All of your sources (Blu-ray, cable/satellite, gaming system, etc.) are connected to the AVR, then a single HDMI cable is run from the AVR out to a single input on the TV. Really, there should be only two "cables" connected to the TV - the power cable and one HDMI cable.
You should not need any audio cable running FROM the TV INTO the AVR unless you are using an aerial antenna to pick up TV signals or if you have a "smart" TV with built-in apps (like NetFlix and Hulu). In the latter case, even an audio cable connecting the two may not work, but that's a discussion that should only happen if you have a "smart" TV.

shannon414

Auditioning
Real Name
sharon
Your certainly got all that right. I do tend to ramble. I was looking at ht-rc430 but have changed my mind in the meantime. I've come across TX-SR313 which has WRAT that appeals to me even tho it's more costly. Found it on line for $179 brand new from a regular seller. Now I wonder if the speakers I have which are Inca - the rear built in in1990 are compatible - they are 8ohms. What do you think?

shannon414

Auditioning
Real Name
sharon
I have been using cable all along so everything has been running off that. I have taken alook at the HD LED tv so it appears your hook up advice is correct and thank you

shannon414

Auditioning
Real Name
sharon
Boy was I way off on my logic. Thanks for imput as I am using cable and everything is coming off that. What will change when I get my new receiver remains to be seen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your current speakers should be fine. I've not heard of Inca as a brand though. And yes, the AVR(then as well) is the brains of the operation. It handles all the video switching. Of course if you had picture in picture...that threw a wrench in the works.

shannon414

Auditioning
Real Name
sharon
My old receiver put out 65 watt per channel - 50 on the fronts. The Inca speakers I believe now, were the store brand for Stereo Advantage where I did all my electronic spending. I liked the sound from them better than Infinity, even tho I still have them. I have 2 floor models from Infinity where the woofers got all old and repaired them with a new so-called rubber and adhesive so now they are brand new that I use in another room with all other components for fine listening,- that worked out really well for 25.00. So you believe these speakers will work out with the new receiver and new tv?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I see no reason to believe they won't. Speaker wattage ratings are typically meaningless. You will probably never use more than 20wpc. You'd be shocked to know how little you use.

shannon414

Auditioning
Real Name
sharon
That's a nice piece of information - I know tv's put out 10wpc (picking up on the lingo). I've been asking about the feature WRAT on specific Onkyo's receivers. Is it all that revelent?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
WRAT is essentially their terminology for "discrete output stage". Most "bargain buck" AVR use integrated circuit. I'll save you the 500 page dissertation, but discrete is better than integrated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, this year(with the 313) is the first year Onkyo went "completely discrete". I think(don't quote me on this cause I don't follow the

shannon414

Auditioning
Real Name
sharon
thank you so much - I know there is alot to read up on . Year by year they just tweek things just enough to get you confused Perhaps you could tell me why on my new Samsung LED tv there are these foggy spots. I have always used Samsung for tv but something has happened to them. I have read some reviews mention that also? What is this thing called cloud audio streaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks