Older nice Sony reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shaown, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Shaown

Shaown Agent

Hi folks,
    By some random accident, several of my component in my modest home theater have recently been upgraded, and I've been held back by two main components. 1st, is my lack of a sub, (got Energy e:XL 16s/C all around), 2nd is my current crappy reciever that lacks DTS. I just moved into a new apt, which is still small, but big enough to accomadate a nice 8 or 10 inch sub. I also want DTS! Due to my limited budget, I'm pursing two options.
    1) get a cheaper low end reciever, like an Onkyo or Marantz SR5200.
    2) Pick up an older Sony reciever, like a DB930/940, or an older ES series.
    I do NOT need any 6.1 capability. Key features for my are DD 5.1/DTS 5.1. 5.1 inputs would be nice for SACD or DVD-Audio. I like the idea of Sony, cause I have all sony component, and would love to try out their s-link stuff for some automation to help my poor roomate out (she like to just press a couple simple buttons). If I wanted an older reciever, any idea on a good source? I don't mind buying used, but ebay always makes me nervous. The new sony stuff in my price range would all be the DE series, and I'd rather have old quality items, than full featured weaker stuff.
    Any thought?
    Thanks,
    [email protected]

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

With the Marantz 5200 in the mix, the price range could take you to the DB1070 which is the only non ES Sony I would buy. It seems to be a real workhorse.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would skip any of the Sonys and go with Marantz, Onkyo, or Denon (ok maybe Yamaha) in that price range. The 5200 would be hands down better than the 930 or 940, and will still have better quality amps and sound vs the 1070. I would also give the Onkyo SR600 and Denon 1802 a listen. I have not had a chance to listen to the SR600, but DS595 was/is a very decent receiver.

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Shaown,

I have the Sony STR-V444ES from last year still hanging around that I am considering offloading to get the Outlaw 950 or a newer Flagship receiver. If you have an interest let me know. I have the original box/packaging, manual and remote. The receiver has all of what you want and by all accounts I have read is better than the DB series (check with KeithH as he upgraded from a DB unit to the V444es). I'm also sure I can assist you if you ever have a warranty issue since your in New England. There is close to 4 years left on the 5 year Sony ES warranty.

Gil

5. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

If you go with an Onkyo, you'll get a great remote too. Don't be too hung up on the s-link stuff. Onkyo's remote can learn all the functions of your other components, and also has programmable macros.

I set mine up so my girlfriend could turn everything on with the push of a button. And, if she wanted to watch a DVD, just presses one of the macro buttons, which turns on my DVD player, changes the Video on my Wega to DVD, changes the video settings to Movie, and finally switches the Reciever to DVD mode.

6. Shaown

Shaown Agent

Hey Gil,
    Sounds like a good idea, why don't email how much you'd be willing to part with it for. I looked it up on audioreview, looks like people managed to buy it new for 430-500 by the end of its life cycle...
    Thanks,
    -Shaown
    [email protected]