1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Older Marantz towers or new Klipsch SB2's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

I was poking arround my basement the otherday, when I found some of my parents old tower speakers. I found two pairs, both made by Marantz. Here are their specs as taken from the little cards on the back of one speaker from each pair:

Pair 1:

- Model LSP1415V

- 15" High Compliance Woofer

- 5" Liquid Cooled Midrange

- 1" Liquid Cooled Soft Dome Tweeter

- Crossover Points - 800 Hz, 2400 Hz

- Impediance 8 Ohms

- Frequency Response - 18 Hz - 20,000 Hz

- Amplifier Power - 10/watts Min, 170/Watts Max Per Channel

- Sensitivity - 92dB @ 1 Watt, 1 Meter

Pair 2:

- Model SP1275

- 12" High Compliance Woofer

- 5" Liquid Cooled Midrange

- 1" Soft Dome Tweeter

- Crossover Points - 1600 Hz, 3200 Hz

- Impediance - 8 Ohms

- Frequency Response - 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz

- Amplifier Power - 10/watts Min, 150/Watts Max Per Channel

- Sensitivity - 91dB @ 1 Watt, 1 Meter

Here is my dilema. A few weeks ago, I bought a pair of Klipsch SB-2's (Mains), SS-1's (Surr), a SC-1 (Center), and a KSW-12 (Sub) and an Onkyo 797 for my HT. Now that I have found these, however, I am starting to wonder if I should have used any of the above speakers in any way. What should I do?

PS - One of the speakers in the first pair may be damaged. Apparently, when I was very young, I decided it would be fun to push in the dome of the 5" Midrange and 15" Woofer. I was able to get the dome on the woofer back out, and now its a bit wrinkled. I was not so lucky with the Midrange, I got it back out (albiet very wrinkled and bent), but in the process accidentally made a pin sized hole in the center of the dome. There is no damage done to the other 3 speakers, except they have been sitting in a basement for a really long time and are pretty dusty.

Thanks Everyone

2. JasenN

JasenN Auditioning

could you please tell me how you like the klipsh speakers with the onkyo. I just bought the onkyo 595 reciever. I heard that klipsh do not sound well with onkyo. But many they wre refered to me by a friend.

3. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Jasen,

To be completeley honest, I really like them together. Some people say klipsch and onkyo make for a very "bright" sound, and I can see what they mean. Still, I like the speakers and the quality of the onkyo

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Well, never having owned or heard any of the three pairs of speakers you are trying to decide between I really can only offer you the advice of listen for yourself and decide what sounds good. Also, if you are referring to the dome in the very center of the woofers, that is just a dust cap. It has no baring on the sound of the woofer. A dent or crease would only have an effect if it was in the actually woofer cone, or in a tweeter.