What's new

Older logos being plastered by current ones (1 Viewer)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
What is your opinion on an older logo being plastered by recent ones? For example, say you are expected to see an early 90s film logo at the start of a film, only to realize that a current logo from 2005 plasters over the older one.Sony's Bars of Boredom, Cinar (1993-2004), Universal Pictures' Glittering Globe, and many others are the most notorious logo plasterers when it comes to this.So are you annoyed or just fine with older logos getting plastered by new ones in older films and TV shows?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I know some are bothered by it but it's just no a big enough deal to make waves over for me. I'm not going to write the studio a nasty e-mail or boycott a release over it.

I would have loved to have seen the old Viacom "V of Doom" syndication logos at the end of The Beverly Hillbillies and Hogan's Heroes DVD's but since those weren't part of the original showing and were only found on 16mm syndication episodes, I'm just out of luck.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Ron1973 said:
I know some are bothered by it but it's just no a big enough deal to make waves over for me. I'm not going to write the studio a nasty e-mail or boycott a release over it. I would have loved to have seen the old Viacom "V of Doom" syndication logos at the end of The Beverly Hillbillies and Hogan's Heroes DVD's but since those weren't part of the original showing and were only found on 16mm syndication episodes, I'm just out of luck.
So let me guess, it was either plastered by the 90s Paramount TV logo or current CBS TV Distribution logo?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Ron1973 said:
I know some are bothered by it but it's just no a big enough deal to make waves over for me. I'm not going to write the studio a nasty e-mail or boycott a release over it.

I would have loved to have seen the old Viacom "V of Doom" syndication logos at the end of The Beverly Hillbillies and Hogan's Heroes DVD's but since those weren't part of the original showing and were only found on 16mm syndication episodes, I'm just out of luck.
You can see it on the S5 and S6 episodes of "The Bob Newhart Show" that come from older masters than the ones Fox had done some work on for S1-4. I was struck by how clips of some S5 and S6 episodes that appear in the 1991 "19th Anniversary" special look better there than they do in the episode masters used for the release (though I'm glad to finally have them!)

Personally, my favorite Viacom logo that I associate with Hogan's Heroes reruns from when I first experienced them is the old "pinball" logo.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The CBS/Paramount logo at the end of Taxi is way too loud & the blaring really annoys me. I didn't like when Fox put the newer logo at the end of MASH and Planet of the Apes. Or Sony removing the screen gems logo from Bewitched & Partridge Family (one season of Partridge still has it) I loved the Columbia logo at the end of Starsky & Hutch & Charlies Angels, but it has unfortunately been replaced too.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I know it's illogical, but it doesn't bother me for TV shows as much as it bothers me for movies. For movies, I think whoever currently owns the film can place their current logo at the very front (and/or very tail) of the film, but the original logos/studios should always stay intact.

I know the corporate honchos won't do this - Paramount, which is currently owned by Viacom, would not want a "A Gulf & Western Company" displayed on their films, but they should do it anyway for the sake of authenticity and for film history. Same for Time-Warner, which owns most of the RKO Library. I wouldn't want to see the RKO logo removed from King Kong or Citizen Kane.

If Disney ever gets the full rights to the existing Star Wars films, but removes the 20th Century Fox logo, you know the fans are going to go completely bonkers, even though Fox was just the distributor on all but the first film.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If they removed the 20th Century Fox logo from SW they'd also have to remove the fanfare and Cinemascope extension (Star Wars practically was responsible for bringing back the Cinemascope part of the fanfare, as it hadn't been used in more than a decade). SW fans would protest mightily since that has practically become an unofficial overture for the movie!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
On both seasons of The Mothers in Law, the original UA Circle and Transamerica T logos that ended each episode of the show in both seasons 1 and 2 respectively, were restored on the complete series DVD. How come they had no problem doing this, yet they have a tough time restoring the movie versions of the logos (1967-1981)?

How does that make any sense?

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
It depends...sometimes it's just the natural evolution of a company (Screen Gems --> CPT --> C-T TV --> SPT) but other times it reeks of revisionist history like when CBS does it to ALL the Paramount Television properties, most of which WEREN'T on CBS! The other infamous example would be the brief period when Fox put its logo over versions of the MTM logo (oddly enough, THOSE versions of the credits seem to be the rare ones now. I haven't seen a "Bravo" print of St. Elsewhere or Hill Street Blues anywhere online)

Since I a part of the closing logo community, it get extra annoying sometimes, as there's variants of the logos that we haven't seen in ages and never will due to plastering.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
IntoIt said:
On both seasons of The Mothers in Law, the original UA Circle and Transamerica T logos that ended each episode of the show in both seasons 1 and 2 respectively, were restored on the complete series DVD. How come they had no problem doing this, yet they have a tough time restoring the movie versions of the logos (1967-1981)?

How does that make any sense?
Because the series was only distributed by UA, but now owned by Desi,Jr and Lucie. (As heirs and successor to Desi Arnaz productions) I guess they didn't feel they need to remove the old UA logos on the shows when they restored them and released them on DVD.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
DeWilson said:
Because the series was only distributed by UA, but now owned by Desi,Jr and Lucie. (As heirs and successor to Desi Arnaz productions) I guess they didn't feel they need to remove the old UA logos on the shows when they restored them and released them on DVD.
Oh, and speaking of UA, don't forget that they even plaster older ones with newer ones, for example the 1995 UA logo plastering over the Turning UA logo from 1981-87.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks