What's new

Older Hitachi 50UX11K RPTV Advice (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I need some advice. Someone at my work bought a Hitachi 50UX11K, i believe it is a 1992 model. They had no problems with it until about 5 years ago when "it went black" they had a technician come out and "replace the picture tube". Then about 1 year ago, they decided to buy a newer TV (no other problems with the old one, they just wanted a new one). It has been in their basement and works fine now. The wanted to get rid of it, and told me to make an offer. I am thinking I would be able to get it for about $100 or so. I am gonna take a DVD player and hook it all up, run tests for burn in, etc -- but if all that checks out decent, what would be a good offer for this TV? I mean, i am looking at how little I could offer them without being ridiculous. Like i said, i guess around $100. Obviously, the less the better... Does anyone know anything about this TV yet? I haven't seen it yet. What size is it, what video input does it have?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello...

Also, how do you think i should justify asking $100 for this? They don't know much about TV's, so anything i tell them, they will believe. On the other hand, their ignorance may cause them to think that this TV is still worth 100's (worst case scenario).

I figured I would tell them:

-The technology is 13 years outdated
-It's not 16:9
-No component in
-Not HD compatible
-It's simply old.
-There are probably a lot of hours on this set and some of the wear is irreversable.
-The "picture tube" has already gone bad once.
-New ones retail for cheap.
-I found a new 46 inch 16:9 Hitachi HDTV in in a store for 1299. Using that as a base price, i figure CRT RPTV's depreciate at about $100 per year. that would make this have no resale -- but my money is for their trouble and the simple fact that they are selling it to me...

How does all of this sound? Any suggestions?

Also, I am asumming that if i place this in the back of a pickup truck and drive "normal" (15-20 miles freeway) it will be ok.... would i place it ON anything to reduce shock/bouncing? stand it up? lay it on it's back? (edit: I just read in another post that against the rearview part of a pickup, wrapped in thick blankets and ties securely should work...) But once again, should I put anything UNDER it?

Thanks,

Matt

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It may cost $80 just to get people to come and pick it up for the land fill.

Regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yep.. I checked recently for somebody else...

$80 to $100 to have it picked up and taken to the land fill. (Properly disposed of) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks