1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Older Hitachi 50UX11K RPTV Advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt*B, May 21, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I need some advice. Someone at my work bought a Hitachi 50UX11K, i believe it is a 1992 model. They had no problems with it until about 5 years ago when "it went black" they had a technician come out and "replace the picture tube". Then about 1 year ago, they decided to buy a newer TV (no other problems with the old one, they just wanted a new one). It has been in their basement and works fine now. The wanted to get rid of it, and told me to make an offer. I am thinking I would be able to get it for about $100 or so. I am gonna take a DVD player and hook it all up, run tests for burn in, etc -- but if all that checks out decent, what would be a good offer for this TV? I mean, i am looking at how little I could offer them without being ridiculous. Like i said, i guess around $100. Obviously, the less the better... Does anyone know anything about this TV yet? I haven't seen it yet. What size is it, what video input does it have?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hello...

Also, how do you think i should justify asking $100 for this? They don't know much about TV's, so anything i tell them, they will believe. On the other hand, their ignorance may cause them to think that this TV is still worth 100's (worst case scenario).

I figured I would tell them:

-The technology is 13 years outdated
    -It's not 16:9
    -No component in
    -Not HD compatible
    -It's simply old.
    -There are probably a lot of hours on this set and some of the wear is irreversable.
    -The "picture tube" has already gone bad once.
    -New ones retail for cheap.
    -I found a new 46 inch 16:9 Hitachi HDTV in in a store for 1299. Using that as a base price, i figure CRT RPTV's depreciate at about $100 per year. that would make this have no resale -- but my money is for their trouble and the simple fact that they are selling it to me...

How does all of this sound? Any suggestions?

Also, I am asumming that if i place this in the back of a pickup truck and drive "normal" (15-20 miles freeway) it will be ok.... would i place it ON anything to reduce shock/bouncing? stand it up? lay it on it's back? (edit: I just read in another post that against the rearview part of a pickup, wrapped in thick blankets and ties securely should work...) But once again, should I put anything UNDER it?

Thanks,

Matt

3. John S

John S Producer

Tell them the $100 fee is for official proper disposal.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It may cost $80 just to get people to come and pick it up for the land fill.

Regards

5. John S

John S Producer

Yep.. I checked recently for somebody else...

$80 to $100 to have it picked up and taken to the land fill. (Properly disposed of) [​IMG]