Older "high end" pre pro's Still Viable option?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dan DRC, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

Working on future plans for a home theater room and was looking a various audio options.I am really in the early stages and I am open to just about anything. I have noticed that Lexicon DC-1's are going for around $625-$850 in the used market and was thinking about setting one up with say a used Rotel 1075 or Parasound 1205 something like that. I guess my question is if someone was just wanting a 5.1 set up, is the Lexicon still a viable option considering the age of the DSP set?

Or would it be worth my while to just pick up a nice reciver like a HK 635, Denon 3805 and use it as a preamp? I know the old argument about using a reciever as a preamp,
    (money wasted on amp sections you are not going to use)
    I also understand the older pre pro's do not have as advanced video switching as newer units.
    Just kinda intersted in the "high end bargins" out there right now. Processors like Sunfire TG I or II, B&K Ref 30 or 20, Acurus Act3,Parasound 2500 or 1800, or even the Outlaw 950 at $699 right now. Just weighing the options.

Thanks

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well Dan, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been running an older H/K Sig 2.0 for a couple years now, and have been completely satisfied with it. I have no need for 6.1 processing or DPL2, and this processor fits my needs perfectly. It also has no component-video switching, which is also fine by me because I run my DVD video straight into the television. It's an extremely good-sounding unit, albeit a bit quirky sometimes, and can be had in the $400 these days...

3. Dan DRC

Yeah Tim, I really wasnt to concearned about video switching either. I thought I would run DVD straight to a projector and Sat box and other sources direct to a TV's comp inputs.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Personally, I'd pass on the DC-1, and look at the Lexicon DC-2/MC-1. The Acurus Act3 was known as being kind of noisy.

You really need to decided what "level of technology" you'll be OK with in the short or long run. Newer models all have some of the following:

5.1 analog inputs for DVD-A/SACD
    DPL II (and IIx)
    DD EX, DTS-ES (6.1 and 7.1 support)
    video switching (as well as upconversion to at least component video)

You also might want to add the Sony-TA-E9000ES. Built like a tank, and great sounding too.

I once had the Outlaw and Sony processors in my system. The Sony has no 5.1 analog inputs or DD EX, DTS-ES or DPL II, but it better sounding than the Outlaw IMO. But the Outlaw adds 5.1 analog inputs (as well as analog bass management for them) and DD EX, DTS-ES and some nice CES modes for playing back 5.1 DD/DTS soundtracks on a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system. The Outlaw is a very good value, and the customer service is very good too.

5. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Audiogon has regular listings for used Meridian units starting at just over $1k, some with 7.1 processing.

If I were in the market I'd be all over something like that. I have no interest, though, in video switching, or the latest Dolby/DTS acronyms. It just doesn't interest me.

6. Dan DRC

Kevin, why would you pass on the DC-1?

7. Thomas Tur

Thomas Tur Stunt Coordinator

These days processing power sold in low priced recievers rivals that in older processors. Where the older processors still win out in is in the analog department. I think this is where processors like the Acurus, B7K units still sound better than a receiver will at many price ranges. Choose your evils.

8. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

IF I were thinking of going with an older unit I would stick to the Meridian or Theta products, although both sound like they may still sell out of your price range.

9. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

I would go with a used B&K Ref 30.

10. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Kevin.

If you look at some of the older Class A-AAA rated pre-pro's, those would be great value.

They were high quality and solidly built.

Lexicon DC2/MC1 are good options with the MC1 having better DACs.

The Sony TA-E9000ES is an outright bargain.

These were really expensive units when new but a great bargain if you want just solid 5.1 (or 7.1 using MC-1) and do not need balanced XLR connectyions.

Although the Sony and these Lexicon units do not have true analog by-pass for 2 channel (since it converts it digitally), 2 channel music played through the Sony still killed my old Denon 3300/Yamaha RZ-V1 receivers using their 2 channel Analog connections.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dan- I'd pass on the DC-1 simply because the DC-2 and MC-1 are such a much better value. Just make sure you get version 4 software. [​IMG]

12. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Dan,
    You didnt mention how much of a priority music is ( two channel or multi sacd etc.)..?

Ive had a mixture of mid level recievers (used as pre-pro's) and older more expensive pre-pro's,, and for movies personally Id take the mid-level reciever any day of the week..
    Flame suit on... Example...I actually preferred the Pioneer 54tx over an EAD ovation plus for movies. Music was a different story all together though, as the EAD eats the Pioneers lunch..Im ducking now as people threw stuff at their PC [​IMG]

More features, more tweekabilty, newer processing chips..But if Music is your priority that changes things

13. Dan DRC

Thats a good point. Anymore I think this system will be about 80/20 HT/music. So I in the back of my mind I thought a reciever as a preamp would be the way to go for this system but you never know. The older preamps are still worth looking at in some cases. The Outlaw 950 at $699 looks to be a really strong value.

14. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Id opt for something like the HKavr635, Pioneer 54 or 56 txi, Yamaha rxv2400, Denon 3805 etc used as a pre-pro..before the 950 ..
    To boot, you can use 2~4 amps on the reciever to drive your back two or four speakers and just get a good 3 or 5 channel amp up front..
    Also you get the latest formats, and the new eq features on the newer recievers can really come in handy..

Get a mid-level reciever and once a year sell it for the newest latest and greatest model ( for a small loss comparatively speaking )

15. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

I read this thread the other day and having been searching for a used pre pro....I ended up finding a lexicon mc1 for 1200.00 , I was going to give meridian a shot but a meridian with anywhere near the lexicons capabilities was still up close to 2000....I guess all those stereophile reviews are kepping it up there lol, but Ive had an mc-1 before and have missed it every since it left the house. I cant say enough good things about it...except that I had to give up dvd-a and sacd to go back to it, but honestly I have not listened to that as much as I have mp3 lately [​IMG][​IMG] the mac mini has changed my life [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Ron AZ

Ron AZ Agent

Dan DRC....

I have had the Lexicon DC-1 (ver #4) for about 10 years and I am using Rotel amps, RUNCO VX1000C HD PJ and Mirage speakers in a dedicated theater and it is wonderful watching movies. The Lexicon has been wonderful and I have never had one problem. I would recommend you look at the MC-1, ver #4 (at a minimum) if you want a Lexicon processor. Rotel makes a good amp... try to get at least 100-150 watts per speaker.

Ron AZ

17. Girish

Girish Stunt Coordinator

girish
    Another processor to look for is Proceed PAV/PDSD.
    I have had this for more than a year and am very impressed both in digital and analog. Built like a tank.
    Can be had for around $1200.