What's new

Older Harman Kardan VS something mid range today? (1 Viewer)

Dustin Windsor

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Hey Guys,

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 3600. This may be a silly questions, but have receivers come a long way over the years?
I got mine in 2011, but wondering if i bought a mid range Sony STR DN1080 if it would be an upgrade?
I do not have a 4K TV, if that matters.

Would movies and Video games get better sound with a newer receiver, or stick with that i have?

Thanks for any advice!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would stay away from a Sony receiver, I've never been really fond of their overall performance. If you are looking for something mid-range, I'd say maybe a Denon AVR-S930H. It will run you under $600, give you 7.1 or Atmos and DTS-X in 5.1.2 configuration, and 8 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs. Or you could step down to the AVR-S730H, it's a little less powerful, only has 6 HDMI inputs and 1 output, and will save you around $100.

Dustin Windsor

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Are receiver's better today than 10 years? I'm a little confused. Is there any point buying a new receiver if i have working Harman Kardon 3600?
Sorry for the silly question, but very curious.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Only worth replacing if the new ones have something you need. Things like newer/more HDMI ports and HD and/or ATMOS sound would be valid reasons.

If you are happy with your current AVR, keep it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks