older generation Sony DVD vs latest crop...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robinson, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    I have a Sony DVP-s550 DVD player - the top of the line from several years back. I think it was their 2nd generation model. It has DD, DTS, I had the lip synch bug fized and I have ZERO complaints with it. It's great. Though being a Sony, it IS a tad on the soft side, and while I hate "jaggies" caused by the harsh downconversion of Toshiba and the like - I'm wondering - are there newer models out now that would best my Sony 550 in terms of playback quality? How about changers? mp3 compatibility? I'm thinking I've LOVE to sell my sony DVD, my Harman Kardon 5 disc HDCD CD changer, and just get ONE sweet DVD changer that plays mp3's - does such a beast exist? How about just strictly a DVD replacement? Any comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    also - regarding DVD changers - do most of them allow for decent CD randomization? 1 song from disc1, 1 song from disc4, 1 from disc2, etc? Must have. Thanks. [​IMG]

3. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    Has there been any comparisons made between the OLD Toshiba downconverion results vs. the newest generation's? I really like the sharpness of Toshiba DVD but on a 4x3 set the downconversion is AWFUL. Any improvements there?