Older DVD Movie Size

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Lide, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Bill Lide

Bill Lide Extra

I have a question for you guys. I own a 57' Sony 16:9 TV and I have done all the setup on the TV and my DVD player. And I have a somewhat understanding of the different movie formats. But I played an older DVD (Armagedon) and a new movie (Lord of the Rings) which are both 2:35 I believe and the Armagedon movie is smaller than Lord of the Rings. Why is that? Do older moves have a different output to the screen?

Thanks for your help...

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

The version of Armageddon that you have may not be an anamorphic DVD. As I recall, the original printing of that movie was one of the last DVDs to not be anamorphic. If you have this version, it may be noticeably smaller vertically, and people will look a bit stretched from side-to-side. You can tell an anamorphic DVD by the words on the package: "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs."

To clarify: an anamorphic widescreen DVD is recorded in a squareish shape with a vertically stretched image, and then the DVD player "squishes" the image down to bring it to the correct aspect ration, as well as to return the image to its non-distorted state. This is done to enhance picture resolution on widescreen TVs. If Armageddon is not recorded in that way, and your DVD player is still squishing it, you're going to get a really skinny picture. Try going into your DVD's setup menu and choosing "4:3" as your TV type instead of "16:9." Then play Armageddon. If it then looks correct, then we've nailed the problem.

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I thikn I read armageddon was labeled wrong?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Actually, because the earlier DVD version of this, um, movie is widescreen letterboxed-only. It's a 4:3-encoded DVD of a widescreen transfer. Because of that, the Sony is windowboxing the entire image, preserving the entire frame but, in the process, scaling its size downward. The 16:9-encoded DVD will fill the screen from side to side.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I don't know if this is the case but often times, many movies are not exactly 2.35:1. I have seen 2.20:1 and 2.10:1 aspect ratio movies despite the fact that the bx claims 2.35.

6. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick correction for Jim FC:

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Armageddon isn't anamorphic, either in the original or the Criterion Edition.

When shown on a widescreen set in "Full" mode, it will be vertically narrower than an anamorphic dvd of the same OAR, and the geometry will be off (everything will look short and fat).

The set should be put in "Zoom" for nonanamorphic widescreen dvds, and "Normal" for 4/3 (1:33) dvds.