What's new

older denon and onkyo receivers to begin (1 Viewer)

ChrisTes

Agent
I've been looking into getting a reciever. I don't know whether or not to go for 6.1 or just stick with the 5.1. Most likely I would be getting 5.1 speakers to go with this receiver. So far I'm looking at
-Denon AVR-1802 5.1
-Onkyo TX-SR502 6.1
-Denon AVR-1803 6.1
-Denon AVR-1804 6.1
-Denon AVR-2802 6.1
-Onkyo TX-SR601 6.1
-Onkyo TX-SR602 7.1
-Onkyo TX-SR503 7.1

(I know this is a long list, but I put them in order from most financially feasable to least)

All of the 7.1 receivers are a little out of my budget. I'm trying to keep things under 200 if at all possible. At the same time however, I want to get somthing that won't be out of date quickly (component inputs, 5.1 input). Also, I like the deonons because they have a phono input. I know i can get an separate amp for that but I'd rather have everything go the same place. There's probably a good Yamaha that would fit in here, but I don't know it. I'm sure that 5.1 or 6.1 would be fine for me right now considering I've never had a surround system before. and we're already into the 7.1s now. The cheper the reciever the more money I can put into speakers. I am really thinking about getting a solid 5.1 reciever cheap and then getting a good set of speakers. I want to get a set of matched speakers. I'd get better quality buing piece by piece, but I'm a little scared of matching them right. Sorry for the long post any advice would be great. Thanks Chris

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, the retail price point is $299 for these features.

I'd recommend the Onkyo TX-SR503. Good power, plenty of inputs. User friendly, built well.

ChrisTes

Agent
Yeah I know it's almost an improbable(sp) situation. Trying to get good features, some staying power, and a rock bottom price. My only concern is buying a more expensive reciever will leave me with little money to buy a set of decent speakers. Thanks for the quick reply! Anyone else? Chris

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, think of the receiver like the CPU, RAM, & motherboard of the computer. The best speakers in the world will sound like garbage without a decent receiver driving them.

Save up a little more, it's definately worth it in the long run.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Get a refurbished Onkyo 502 for $150 at JandR. These are mostly cosmetic refurbs. I had one and never found a blemish on it...

Ubid is also selling the Kenwood Fineline 6.1 digitally amped receiver for $100...

I agree though, put the money into your speakers. Any receiver on your list will be decent.

ChrisTes

Agent
Thanks for all of your advice. So I guess what I need to do is get a receiver and then wait a while and get a good set of speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You really aren't going to find any 5.1 receivers these days, but you can use any of them to do just 5.1 for now and add the extra speakers down the road. IMO, for a first receiver, most of those should be fine.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I tried the 602 refurb deal as well. Mine even came with the remote for the 702-backlit! Nice receiver as well-especially for the price.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Dorian you suc! lol :)

thats sweet you got the better remote. wish I lucked out that way. the remote with the 602 sucd anyway. I am using my Sima-SUR20 remote instead which still is a decent remote. I got that refurned too for $40 bak when they were new for over $100.

I mentioned J&R above in my post. I dont think anyone can beat them for prices on refurbs and they offer free shipping alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks