Older Crown Amps??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Matthew, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Stephen Matthew

Stephen Matthew Stunt Coordinator

just curious how solidly built the amps were, looking into a crown powerbase 1 and an 800csl , also, what is a decent unit i can use to potentially feed a signal to an amp like this, my ht setup now is just an old pioneer dolby pro amp/reciever... looking to get something with no built in amp and just a high powered pre-amp...

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the crowns are quite solidly built and find much use in professional applications. you might want to audition them first to make sure there aren't any issues with hum, etc. to this day crowns are one of the few amps that come with a certificate of performance. initially, just feed the signal from your existing receiver assuming its got pre-outs.

3. Stephen Matthew

hmm.. not sure if it has pre-outs.. an older model with the ohm symbol logo.. vsx-456 i believe... only had a chance to audition the powerbase 1 and that was in a PA setup running a single cerwin vega 18 in a cabinet, which it did admirably, btu im really not sure how cleanly it would work for ht use.. with clarity being the absolute best i can get.. dont care abotu surround sound for now, just looking for a clean stereo output... are there any known amps out there that can be had online that are relatively cheap?? looking for a shiva of the amp world [​IMG] thinking the 800csl would work well for sub use if not a little overpowered for my desires and currently only place ive found them cheap is ebay [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just how far back are we talking about?

Back when Crown was making reel-to-reel tape decks, it was making some superb, classic amplifiers and preamplifiers. Remember the old IC-150 preamp and DC-150 and DC-300 power amps? Great units in those days.

But I suppose we're talking about A/V applications here, aren't we? Crown has made some solidly, conservatively designed stuff, featuring rugged, industrial-level construction.

5. Stephen Matthew

yeah i have actually been looking at some dc300's thinking they might work good for my front stage, so they are up to the level im looking for assuming they are in good shape. good to hear, thanks