Oldboy - Various Korean R3 Editions...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, May 2, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Can anyone please explain the difference between the Starmax released "2-Disc Special Edition", Starmax "2-Disc Final Edition" and Starmax "LE Ultimate Edition 4-Disc Set"?

Do all discs feature the same transfers and what could possibly be spread over 4-discs in the Ultinate Edition release? Also, if anyone has exact details on extras and audio options, please tell!

I've got some basic specs from HKFlix and DVDHeaven but I'm still having trouble discerning exactly what's featured among each edition and what differs content wise as well as language tracks, etc.

If anyone has accurate information about each (audio options, subtitle options, transfer sourced, commentaries, extra features...) please let me know and I'd also like everyone's opinion on what the absolute definitive version of this movie on dvd is...

Thanks a lot!

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

PS - I looked it up on DVDBEaver but unfortunately their review page was taken down due to inaccuracies in the screen captions...

3. Manus

Manus Second Unit

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks a lot Manus,

The 4-disc UE sounds sick and is NTSC to boot... but from the review specs, the extras are mainly unsubtitled. [​IMG]

I wish there was a more thorough review of that version with exact detail on what is and isn't subbed, etc.

Is the R0 Tartan 2-disc edition a victim of PAL speed-up, because from the running times listed on other sites, it doesn't appear to be for some reason... Can anyone verify for me because that'd be my only hesitation towards the PAL edition.

Also, does anyone know how the transfer compares to the Starmax discs?

5. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

You are correct on the 4 disc UE. I recently got it, but I haven't gone through it yet. One of the four discs is the soundtrack. It comes in a really nice box (the purple present, like in the film). One of the four commentaries on disc one is by Ain't it Cool's Harry Knowles, so that's in English.

I have the Tartan version, and for us English speakers, it's the way to go. All the extras are subbed, including the commentary! My Bravo D1 converts PAL, so I noticed no problems with speed up issues.

If you can't get the comparison info online, email me and I may be able to find some notes I made on it when I was checking out the different versions.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Sorry to bring this back up, but I just want to ask how the R0 Tartan transfer compares to either fo the two Starmax transfers in terms of pq?

Also, are the making-of documentaries on the Starmax editions subbed, because it's not mentioned on any sites but I find it strange that DVDBeaver's review displays screen caps of the extra features and the docus seem to be listed in English (at least the menu option is entirely english text) - as opposed to the other supps which leads me to believe the docus are probably either in English language audio (I believe they were shot at Cannes and festivals, etc.) or English subbed.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!