OLDBOY - August 23,2005

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andy Kim, May 30, 2005.

1. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I haven't seen any official releases yet but Amazon.ca and .com are reporting the release day to be August 23, 2005.

No specifics but I can't see it being anything other than the Region 1 by Tartanfilms. But like their Region 1 releases of "Tale of Two Sisters" and "Samaritan Girl", I'm sure details will be along shortly unless I totally missed it.

Andy

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Cool! This is playing right now in my city, I plan on hitting it this week.

3. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Tartan is releasing it. Thier website tartanfilmsusa.com confirms it for Aug 23. I hope it is uncut. They did get it rated by the MPAA so I am wondering if they had to cut anything.

--Ian

4. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance also got rated (R of course) about the same time as Oldboy, so we could concievably see it's R1 release as a simultaneous release tie-in

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I just hope they issue cool looking cover art so I can replace the packaging for what is sure to be my vastly superior R2 set.

6. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Anyone get to compare any of the Korean DVDs with the Tartan released one? Is the Tartan USA DVD uncut??

--Ian

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I think DVDBeaver has comparisons.

I'm not sure if the link is still down cause apparently they had received some bad captions with incorrect color timing or something like that but if you check out DVD-Basen and plug a search for all regions you should pull up one or two comparissons.

I have the R3 Ultimate Edition Limited Korean set and am planning on picking up the UK Tartan release just for the second disc of extras since the R3 set isn't subbed.

From what I recall, the Tartan release is supposed to look pretty good... but not as good as the R3 Starmax release which is superb. I don't think there's any difference in the R1 + R2 UK transfers. I'm sure they're identical.