1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Oldboy 4K UHD HDR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by titch, Nov 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Some people have wondered why Arrow and Criterion aren't releasing 4K discs. The answer is that the vast majority of titles they release would not show major benefits of 4K versus blu-ray. I compared the German 4K disc of Oldboy to the Arrow release - which are based on the same scan - and the differences projected onto a 150 inch screen are subtle. Sure - there are differences, but the number of people with set-ups that are able to appreciate these are miniscule. The biggest difference is probably in the English translated subtitles (which are a bit better on the Arrow release). If you want a decent video for home viewing, you don't necessarily need a 4K disc. The scan and the mastering are the most important factors. My old Tartan Video blu-ray of Oldboy looks awful, compared to the new Arrow.

IMG_0150.

lark144 likes this.
  2. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

No UHD no cinema colour gamut. No UHD no full 1080p resolution for colour films. Criterion has many titles that would benefit.

3. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Have you compared them yourself? The difference is minimal on my set-up - granted, I don't have a top-of-the-range laser projector, but I don't think that is the reason. Oldboy is a title which is not reference picture quality. It is grainy and dark. I'll wager a 4K UHD disc of Arrow's Robocop would also have had incremental benefits, compared to the blu-ray. The vast majority of Criterion or Arrow titles are not high-budget, A-list Hollywood productions. Now I have also compared the Italian 4K UHD disc of Midsommar to the blu ray and on this title, there is a bigger gain in resolution and colour. Same with BlacKkKlansman. The Synapse Suspiria is an example of a 4K scan and restoration of a classic title which showed noticeable improvements projected, compared to the Synapse blu-ray. Don't Look Now not as much.

I currently have 150 4K UHD titles and I have the entire Criterion collection on blu ray. I disagree with you that there are many Criterion titles that would display substantial benefits from being published on a 4K disc. I would be the first in line to purchase them though, if they ever came on the market.

IMG_0154. IMG_0155.

4. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

Substantial is subjective. Every Criterion BD coming from a 4K master I want to have as UHD. Differences to the BD version will vary. For some it will be little difference, for others more. As I said, by definition, no UHD no full cinema colour gamut, no full 1080p resolution, and no 10 bits of course, meaning more compromise between shadow and highlight rendition (can't optimise both at the same time with 8 bits). Potentially better compression on the UHD too.
    I have compared many UHD versus BD titles, not from Criterion, since there are none, but from other studios. It depends on
    the source and how it was technically handled whether the UHD blows the BD away or not. Some are even worse due to clueless technical decisions (like heavy DNR or scanning filmouts from DI). Many are limited by 2K DIs as source. But that does not apply to Criterion's 4K scans from camera negatives etc. Some comparisons are now possible (Criterion Roma versus UHD streaming, Pan's Labyrinth BD vs UHD, soon Princess Bride BD vs UHD).

5. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    I agree with you about the potential inherent in the 4K specs. Another example of how the mastering is the most important factor is Pan's Labyrinth. I prefer Criterion's director-approved colour-grading on the blu-ray, compared to the Warner Bros 4K UHD disc.

Stephen_J_H likes this.