What's new

Old Yeller (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
How is the video/audio quality on this release? Has the original Buena Vista distriubtion logo been plastered over with the Walt Disney Pictures logo?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
In a word, excellent, and probably the best you can expect from a fifty year old film. it's not perfect, but it's damn better than anything I've ever seen. I'm almost 100% the original Buena Vista logo is on there as well instead of the disney logo (which will pop up on the dvd's spin up). The extras are stellar as well, though not as thorough and varied as Pollyanna.

Truly sad that this line was apparently discontinued, I was hoping for three or four high quality titles each May, I'll sadly have to settle for only 20,000 leagues this year, which is looking to be an incredible release, I just hope they get The Love Bug out sometime soon as well.

Adam

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Adam, it's a great DVD release. I'm pretty certain it has the original studio logos as well. Fantastic sets for all four Vault Disney releases, and there's even printed material in the supplements section which shows the notices given to theaters to "display this film in the 1.75:1 ratio."

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
I know you younger guys won't believe that I seen the Tommy Kirk movie about his dog they called "Old Yeller" for 25¢. I am from Jim Thorpe PA.

Off/Topic The theater was called the Capital which is now used as it began as a opera house. In 1954 the town changed from Mauch Chunk to Jim Thorpe. If you would like to see some interesting things about my towns internet address which is not working now probably due tothe extreme cold weather we are having is www.mauchchunkmuseum.org

When working again this will show you some of the things my town is famous for, when you see the word switchback read about it. I am a member of the club of the 1st Rail Road in PA. and 2nd in the nation run by 'gravity'. Hence the name "Mauch Chunk Switchback Gravity Railroad", that was running *before* the 1836 siege at The Alamo which took place in San Antonio, Texas.:)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My favorite thing on the Old Yeller disk is the audio recording of disneys original "Story book" on record of Old Yeller, which features sound bites from the movie, and is read by Fess Parker. I used to love these story records as a kid, and would love to see more of these preserved on DVD! Pictures from the movie are displayed while it is read.

Maybe Lucas well include the story book records on his Star Wars ultimate edition DVDs instead of the original theatrical versions!!
(couldn't resist this, in light of the heated discussion going on in another thread! No offense is meant to those passionate fans!)

Brian E

Screenwriter
I saw Walmart has this, and Parent Trap, for like $14 now, at that price it's a steal. Both are great sets.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
And don't skip the documentary footage about the author,
and the unveiling of the Old Yeller statue. Really great release.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
The Buena Vista Distribution Co. logo HAS been removed and replaced with the newer Walt Disney Company logo. The stately and regal brass fanfare at the beginning of the film was composed specifically for the BV logo. Now it plays over the newer logo. I always equated the BV logo with gorgeous Technicolor, a hallmark of Disney productions.

I think the picture is letterboxed a little too tight. Otherwise it's a superb disc. Don't miss the very moving tribute to the original author in the supplements section.

Jeff

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
too bad about the logo...the last issue of old yeller included the newer one and the older one on the "restored"
print...what a foul up.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This movie above all others displays the true acting talent of Tommy Kirk, who was so ill-used by Disney afterwards that he became somewhat of a joke (in all those horrid monkey and son-of-a-nutty-scientist roles). At 14 in OLD YELLER he proves to us what might have been had the studio cast him differently when he grew older. Shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks