Old Tv Only Bringing In Cannels 2 - 13

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jarett, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

hey all,
    I have a fairly old emerson 13" tv that i hooked cable up to. The problem is it only gives me channels 2 - 13 when i should be getting 2 - 24. It has a chanel switch thingy on the back fro 3 and 4 but it doesnt do anything....i have no remote for it....anyone know what the problem is? Thanks

Jay

2. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

Some old TVs only had tuners that worked up to channel 13. And I mean OLD. Either way, I'd suggest using a VCR to tune and change channels. Repairing will likely cost more than the cost for a new one.

3. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

I have a 1993 hitachi 13" that only tuned 2-13 until I got a remote that had the menu function, I switched it from "Air" to "Cable" and it works fine. It's now in the smoking lounge. (Garage)

4. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

hey,
    it actually has like up to channell 100 but past 13 they are all fuzzy...i'll try a vcr

thanks

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A non-cable-ready TV will only get channels 2-13 off of a cable with no cable box and then only if those channels are analog and not scrambled.

Channels 14 and up for cable are on different frequency bands than channels 14-60 over the air. A few might come in as different channel numbers (if analog and not scrambled) if you connect the cable to the UHF jack rather than the VHF jack behind the TV. You will need a 75 ohm (jack) to 300 ohm (pigtails) transformer if the TV has screw terminals instead of jacks for the antenna connections.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm