Old Turntable+New Reciever = Awful Sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshA, Mar 17, 2003.

1. JoshA

JoshA Auditioning

Here's the situation. I am trying to connect a JVC L-E600 from the mid-eighties to a fairly new Sony STR-DE675. I have tried to connect through several inputs, including AUX, CD, VIDEO1, and even went as far as patching it through my TV. The problem is I have to max out the volume on the reciever to get a "medium" sound level, and even at that it is only twitchy highs and absolutely no bass. I was wondering if the problems lies in the fact the reciever doesn't have a PHONO input. I don't know if that would make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Josh: You've hit the nail on the head. The JVC's phono cartridge puts out a very small amount of voltage and needs a special equalization curve to make it sound right. None of your receiver's inputs can provide a proper match for either need.

There are several phono pre-amplifiers out there. Decent ones can be found around a hundred bucks or so. Really inexpensive ones can be bought thru Crutchfield ot Radio Shack for under $40. Once you have one, just plug the JVC into it and the phono pre-amp into one of the Aux inputs...

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Chuck is right. If you are not using a dedicated Phono input, you must use a preamp.

4. JoshA

JoshA Auditioning

I figured I needed a preamp but was hoping there was another solution. Was just trying to be economical. Thanks for the prompt answer. I was hoping not to spend any money, because I just wanted to use the turntable to listen my parents 200+ classic rock albums. Will the more economical models differ that greatly from the higher priced models. I don't consider myself a complete audiophile, but I have a decent ear.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Parts Express has one for 69 bucks.
    RadioShack for 25 bucks.

sell the unit and buy a receiver with a phono input?

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The Radio Shack phono pre-amp (the so-call "Little Rat") is said to be as good as phono pre-amps that retails for $150.00. Run a search on "little Rat" at the [Vinyl] section of audioasylum.com or the source component section of HTF.

7. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Another option is to ditch the turntable and get a new turntable with a preamp built in. Sony makes a couple ranging in price from $99 to $150. Not necessarily high end equipment, but they do a good job and it would be a cheaper upgrade than buying a new receiver with phono inputs.

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Marvin,

You can go to the Vinyl section of audioasylum.com, and do a search on "the little rat". You will be surprised at the amount of info there.

10. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Danny,
    Thanks. Actually, I checked it out and the response is generally favorable but I didn't find any comparisons to the pre-amp in the Denon.
    It occurred to me that I may not be able to use the RS pre-amp anyway since all of receiver's inputs are in use and I'd have to plug it into my phono input, i.e. the signal would get boosted twice. I don't know if that's a good idea. Or is it?

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

stick with what you've got, why make more headaches for yourself.