Old Turntable+New Reciever = Awful Sound

JoshA

Auditioning
Here's the situation. I am trying to connect a JVC L-E600 from the mid-eighties to a fairly new Sony STR-DE675. I have tried to connect through several inputs, including AUX, CD, VIDEO1, and even went as far as patching it through my TV. The problem is I have to max out the volume on the reciever to get a "medium" sound level, and even at that it is only twitchy highs and absolutely no bass. I was wondering if the problems lies in the fact the reciever doesn't have a PHONO input. I don't know if that would make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Josh: You've hit the nail on the head. The JVC's phono cartridge puts out a very small amount of voltage and needs a special equalization curve to make it sound right. None of your receiver's inputs can provide a proper match for either need.

There are several phono pre-amplifiers out there. Decent ones can be found around a hundred bucks or so. Really inexpensive ones can be bought thru Crutchfield ot Radio Shack for under $40. Once you have one, just plug the JVC into it and the phono pre-amp into one of the Aux inputs...

greg_t

Screenwriter
Chuck is right. If you are not using a dedicated Phono input, you must use a preamp.

JoshA

Auditioning
I figured I needed a preamp but was hoping there was another solution. Was just trying to be economical. Thanks for the prompt answer. I was hoping not to spend any money, because I just wanted to use the turntable to listen my parents 200+ classic rock albums. Will the more economical models differ that greatly from the higher priced models. I don't consider myself a complete audiophile, but I have a decent ear.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The Radio Shack phono pre-amp (the so-call "Little Rat") is said to be as good as phono pre-amps that retails for $150.00. Run a search on "little Rat" at the [Vinyl] section of audioasylum.com or the source component section of HTF.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Another option is to ditch the turntable and get a new turntable with a preamp built in. Sony makes a couple ranging in price from $99 to $150. Not necessarily high end equipment, but they do a good job and it would be a cheaper upgrade than buying a new receiver with phono inputs.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The Radio Shack phono pre-amp (the so-call "Little Rat") is said to be as good as phono pre-amps that retails for $150.00.
Interesting. My receiver (Denon 2700) has a phono input but I wonder if the Radio Shack pre-amp would be an upgrade. For LP listening, I set the volume to about -20, give or take 2; whereas for CD's it's in the -29 to -35 range. (For some reason, when I switched to a supposedly better stylus for my Audio-Technica cartridge, the volume went down a few dB's.

By any chance, has anyone ever compared the RS pre-amp to the one in my, or any, Denon receiver?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Marvin,

You can go to the Vinyl section of audioasylum.com, and do a search on "the little rat". You will be surprised at the amount of info there.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Danny,
Thanks. Actually, I checked it out and the response is generally favorable but I didn't find any comparisons to the pre-amp in the Denon.
It occurred to me that I may not be able to use the RS pre-amp anyway since all of receiver's inputs are in use and I'd have to plug it into my phono input, i.e. the signal would get boosted twice. I don't know if that's a good idea. Or is it?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vikesfan1963