old technology

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julio, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Julio

Julio Agent

I get the feeling after reading a few post on another NEWSGROUP that I bought old technology

on my receiver what am I missing on sound do I miss alot for not having DTS-ES and DD EX and DPL II

on my dvd player do I miss alot for not having SACD or DVD-A

if SACD and DVD-A is just music with surround sound then I don't think I'm missing much

receiver is STR-DE1075 no DTS-ES no DD EX no DPL II
    dvd DVP-NS700P no SACD no DVD-A

I got my receiver 3 months ago and my dvd player like 3 weeks ago I can't believe is time to upgrade already

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

If 20 of us answer, you'll get 20 different opinions. That said, here my 2 cents worth...

I've heard a fair amount of 6.1 sound (EX and ES) and while it is another notch forward, I don't sit listening to my 5.1 setup trying to figure out when I'm going to upgrade.

As for DPL II, my feelings are stronger. I moved both my main setup and my 2nd smaller system to DPL II after hearing it. I have found the full range/true stereo surrounds really add to my enjoyment. IF (and that is a BIG IF) you listen to 2 channel sources in surround sound, I believe DPL II is a very noticeable improvement. Especially in 2 channel TV or movies. (I do like what it can do with 2 channel music. But, I'm still an old dog and alot of the music I own still sounds good as stereo.)

6.1 music??? I really haven't "listened" to it. There just isn't much available yet (ie. slim pickings/little catalog.) It may become important, but I don't find it so yet. (FWIW, if you want to see how much you like multi-channel music, buy a DVD-A disc. It will play as DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 too. No, it won't be as good sounding as the higher resolution formats but it will give you a taste of how the 5.1 music will sound.)

Bottom line, should you upgrade? IMO, no, not this soon. Budget-wise (unless you can return your stuff), you're going to take a spanking. But you might consider upgrading in a year or so...

3. Julio

Julio Agent

thanks for the reply with what you said I'll stick with what I have now for a while then I will upgrade