Old Technics Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Kanyak, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

I was just curious. I have an old Technics receiver SA-GX303 85wX8 ohms. What is interesting is that it has a Parametric EQ system in it. My question to anyone is would this be suffient to power a 20-39 or should I go with a new 20-39pci? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Frank Kanyak

bump...

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Frank,
    Though Technics is not considered a high end product it is probably a notch or few above the KLH receiver that Tom has reported great results using with an SVS. So I would assume that for a little while your receiver would work fine. That said, here is what I would do.
    1) Buy an SVS CS or CS+ whichever you decide on and use your receiver to power it for awhile.
    2) Save up for a Samson amp or something like it (Crown, QSC, Crest, etc...)
    3) Purchase a second SVS subwoofer.
    This, IMO seems to offer the best upgrade path as well as some damn good performance. I got the chance to hear a 20-39cs at a friends house powered by an 80watt yamaha receiver and I was very impressed. Best of luck to you!
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

4. Frank Kanyak

Thanks for the advice.