1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Old Technics Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Kanyak, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

I was just curious. I have an old Technics receiver SA-GX303 85wX8 ohms. What is interesting is that it has a Parametric EQ system in it. My question to anyone is would this be suffient to power a 20-39 or should I go with a new 20-39pci? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Frank Kanyak

bump...

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Frank,
    Though Technics is not considered a high end product it is probably a notch or few above the KLH receiver that Tom has reported great results using with an SVS. So I would assume that for a little while your receiver would work fine. That said, here is what I would do.
    1) Buy an SVS CS or CS+ whichever you decide on and use your receiver to power it for awhile.
    2) Save up for a Samson amp or something like it (Crown, QSC, Crest, etc...)
    3) Purchase a second SVS subwoofer.
    This, IMO seems to offer the best upgrade path as well as some damn good performance. I got the chance to hear a 20-39cs at a friends house powered by an 80watt yamaha receiver and I was very impressed. Best of luck to you!
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

4. Frank Kanyak

Thanks for the advice.