What's new

Old Technics/Infinity equipment, HELP? (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Just wondering if anyone here knows anything at all about this equipment. My dad is clearing this stuff out of his room, because he needs more space.
Thanks in advance.
Technics SL-D20 Direct Drive Automatic Turntable
Technics SU-V5 Stereo Integrated DC Amplifier
Technics Quartz AM/FM Tuner
Infinity Reference Studio Monitors
The infinity's have no model on them, I'm not too knowledgable on Infinity's line though.
I have a harman kardon avr 120 right now, which doesn't have pre outs which means I can't use the amplifier well with the speakers right? I shouldn't even try hooking up only 45W to these reference monitors? What are these monitors worth anyways, they look to be about 20 years OLD!
Thanks for any input,
ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
nevermind, I guess I'll just plug them into my receiver and either view them clip or listen to them fine.:frowning:

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
well the little blurb on the website you provided does stress the speakers high sensitivity and mentions that they should play fine with 35wpc. I think you would be perfectly fine using your HK receiver to power them.

But, your phillips center channel is gonna sound horrible when sound pans across the front soundstage if you use those infinity's as mains. Your much better off leaving them with the technics amp and using them in a strictly stereo setup. (maybe....just maybe you'll find another one to use as a center channel)

oh yeah, you might want to edit your signature because your not supposed to have your equipment listed there. if someone's searching for info on a certain piece of equipment that happens to be in your profile they'll probably end up at a ton of threads you posted in that don't relate to what they are looking for.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
WAITTTTTTT.....DON'T USE THE HK RECEIVER!!! from the website you gave under EMIT tweeters it mentions that the loudspeakers that use them are power hungry and those tweeters blow easily

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
man the center channel already sounds like crap, also the signatures are non searchable.
i don't knowthe value of these speakers (money wise), if I do find it out to be substantial I may sell them otherwise I will try them with my receiver (even if they get clipped).

-ELmO

Larry Becker

Agent
I have some Infinity RSe's -- which are the model down from the ones in your link. I've run them with an old Yamaha 100wpc receiver, a JVC 100wpc receiver, and now use them as rear surrounds with my Pioneer 49tx.

They still sound fine BUT about 10 years ago I had to re-cone them because the foam surrounds dissolved. It was bizarre, but fairly common, I guess. I bought a kit from the back of Stereo Review and did it myself in an evening. They still seem ok.

These speakers are fuse protected and have a volumn control for the Emit tweeters so you can have some protection with underpowered amps I would think.

I bought those same funky matching speaker stands with my Infinity's--I never did like them.

I don't think they'd be worth too much, especially if they haven't been re-coned. Maybe $100-150 for the pair?

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.