OLD Superman comics collection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_S_H, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    All this talk of Superman in Movies has made me interested in reading some of the old stories. Right now, my exposure is limited to the movies, the TV show, and a couple of the "post relaunch" comics from '86. Even though I read from issue 1, these made little sense to me and didn't leave a favorable impression of Superman in my mind. Probably would have helped if I had read Man of Steel and some of the other minis.

Anyway, I don't care about the relaunch Superman anyway. Are there any trade publications that reprint highlights from the classic Superman before 1986? Color is a must, if the original stories were in color. It also helps if they are still in print, but I guess I could go the eBay route if need be.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

One of the best Superman stories still in print (I think) is Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Written by Alan Moore and drawn by Curt Swan, it was basically intended to imagine what the very last Superman story could be. Really well done.

For reprinted highlights, I think the best bet are these "Superman in the " books. They just throw a bunch of old stories at you from that particular decade.

Also, if you're rich, DC does these deluxe Archives editions, which are reprinting their Superman comics from the very beginning. They're nice books but they cost about $50 each at full cover price, although you can probably find some cheaper on Ebay.