Old speakers, new receiver

katyo

Auditioning
Real Name
Katy O.
A friend gave me a pair of large, old Pioneer floor speakers (150 watts, 8 ohms). I'm looking at a cheap receiver, specifically the Onkyo 304. Does it have enough power if I want to add a few more speakers in the future? If it doesn't, can you recommend another receiver on the cheaper end that would?

Also is there a way to use my HK computer speakers as part of the surround sound system?

Thanks in advance!

-Katy

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
In 2ch stereo mode, the Onkyo 304 may be able to deliver adequate power to the old Pioneer floor speakers. In 5.1 channel mode, highly doubtful.

As for you HK computer speakers, technically you could rewire them to use in a surround system, but practically, you shouldn't want to.

Sounds like you are really looking to get a basic, decent, surround sound system for as cheap as possible ($200 range?).

If this is the case, I would recommend... (dons Teflon suit) that you are a candidate for a basic HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) which would have 5-6 small satellite speakers and a small sub woofer. Personally, I don't have issues with some of the Sony, Panasonic or Pioneer HTIB's in the $200-$300 range but recognize that the equipment is basic and sound will be adequate at best. Not everyone has $$ to buy the best gear right away and this may be a good way to get you started and hooked on the hobby. You may even get lucky and find a HTIB with speaker A/B terminals and still get to use the old Pioneer speakers for 2ch stereo music...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo