Old-skool big speaker fans: the new Klipsch Cornwall III is here

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by LanceJ, Mar 19, 2006.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Klipsch Cornwall III

That black finish looks pretty cool.

From the webpage above:
    Let the Woofer Wars begin again! [​IMG]

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Also: while the Cornwalls "only" get down to 34Hz, one advantage of these is that for most movies and with the majority of music you won't need a sub. And since two subs are supposed to be better at smoothing out room nodes (modes?), that's covered too.

And with a 102dB sensitivity rating, even a modest receiver in the $500 range could drive these to very high-but-clean levels.

Thoughts?

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Well ... [​IMG] typically the best place for a sub or even multiple subs is usually *not* where the L & R speakers sound best.

(That's why I personally think that powered subs integrated into the main speakers is usually not a good idea.)

A Harman white paper says that the midpoint of the two longest walls is the best place for 2 subs, and for 4, it's the midpoints of all 4 walls. All up against the walls. They did measurements and everything. [​IMG]

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I would have to concur with KCB on this.

While I find these speakers to be very interesting, and would love to hear a set in my room, I am afraid that I would hear things in the bass that I did not like, but that I would be unable to correct, whereas I could tweak things by going with a sub/sat/eq'd system.

But with an integrated woofer, you gets what you gets as far as the bass goes.

On the other hand, I bet they would RAWK set up on a couple pedestals, blasting out AC/DC in to my back yard!

On the other other hand, some of us are clearly under the influence of the cult of flat frequency response (I am guilty as charged!). Think back to the best sound you ever heard during your formative years of hi-fi addiction. Did the system have a sub? Did it have an EQ? I would bet the answer to both of those questions is NO. Yet now, a nice pair of floor standers just doesn't cut it anymore.

Then again, Stereophile loves their Wilson MAXX2's (is that the model???). And the in room measured FR results in a plot that looks like someone had a graphic EQ pumping the low end by about 10dB relative to he rest of the range. Michael Fremer liked them so much, he bought them, and uses them as his main reference.

What does that say about what sounds good versus what measures well?

Brian

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

don't forget about the mighty Klipschhorn

and remember not to judge a speaker before you hear it

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

[​IMG]

I usually do lean more towards the numbers side of audio, but based on past experience, being a slave to them can really suck the fun out of audio and listening to the music created by that gear.

I definitely don't want this turned into a sub vs. no-sub debate. Actually, this issue is going to be a secondary part of an upcoming thread I want to create (I'm still rounding up the links and reading .pdf manuals for it). It has partly to do with the recent survey concerning many people's avoidance of sophisticated technologies. And no, I won't be dissing subwoofers, and actually will need help figuring out how to use them in a more um...traditional... HT system.

As far as the Cornwalls are concerned and the people who don't mind owning a large pair of floorstanders*, I wonder if by sheer brute force they can overcome some of the (potential) room integration problems? A total of two 15" woofers in ported enclosures must have some advantages in that area. (Ignoring the satellite/sub integration issue) though as far as bass that goes very low AND is also very powerful is concerned, because of the physics involved I do think the use of a sub is definitely the more elegant solution. Though as a preemptive comment, not everyone cares about sub-30Hz bass and when thinking of movies in an *overall* manner ("talkies" have been around since the 20s) AFAIK only a small proportion of movies utilize such low frequencies anyway. Same thing with music. The Turner Classic Movie network is one of my favorite channels if that gives people reading this a better picture of my viewing habits. Sorry if I sound cranky about these matters but that's just what I feel like! :p)

* sub companies have little to worry about: very few people these days are considering such "huge, old fashioned" speakers & add to that their not-cheap MSRP which is supposedly around $3,500 per pair

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

[​IMG]