Old School Crap!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanJE, Jan 8, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I was wondering if any of you guys new a way i could trick my old school set up. Its my second room set up since I have new gear. Heres the deal, I have a receiver with no sub out option its just 5.0. And an active sub with only speaker wire level inputs. Left and Right. Is it possible to Bi-wire from the amp mains and send one set to the sub and on set to the fronts??

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Why not just hook it up the way that's supposed to be hooked up?

1) Send the L & R front speaker leads from the receiver to the sub. Then output the speaker leads from the sub to the L & R front speakers themselves.

2) In your receiver, config the front speakers as "large".

If you try it your way, essentially the sub is in parallel with the front speakers, you might draw too much current from the receiver and fry the amplifier's analog output stage.

But since the sub is powered, maybe its current draw wouldn't be that much, and you wouldn't have a problem.

You possibly could try it, and try to judge how hard the receiver is working. (How hot it is running vs normal.)

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I want to do it the normal way but my sub only has main speaker inputs. It has no left or right outputs. It also accepts an audio cord but my amp does not. Can I biwire?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What’s an “audio cord?”

If by “biwire” you mean sending speaker leads to both the sub and the main speakers (that's more correctly called a parallel connection), the answer is yes, since you say the sub is active (i.e., powered, just to make sure we’re on the same page). All the speaker leads are doing is providing an input signal for the sub and as such represent no load on the receiver’s amplifiers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Wayne, when I said audio cord I meant the Line Level cord. I thought since the sub is powered, active, whatever, all it needs is the signal from the reciever, not any significant amount of power. I just wanted to make sure not to fry the amp. So just make a parallel connection from the reciever to the sub, and the mains. If this is correct ill give it a go.

P.S Sorry, Im a newbie, what is the technical name for a sub-woofer cord?

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Can't go wrong with:

'Subwoofer cable'

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I see: no speaker level outputs. What does the sub's manual say?