What's new

Old Receiver to Denon 3803 Questions? (1 Viewer)

Brian N

Auditioning
I posted this over at AVSForum, but haven't gotten much of a response, so I figured you guys may be able to help me out. I currently own a H/K AVR25II which I bought about 6 years ago. I use it for 70/15/15 TV/XBox/DVD. The AVR25II only decodes Dolby Pro Logic, and if I remember correctly, outputs 65 high current, discrete Watts per channel. Here's my dilemma. I'm considering upgrading and cannot compare my current receiver to others side by side simply because the AVR25II isn't sold any more. The Denon 3803 has caught my eye. Here are my questions:

1. Will I notice a marked improvement in audio by getting the 3803 considering its decoding capabilities and higher wattage rating? Clearly making a move to something like a Sunfire would dramatically improve performance, but would a move to the 3803 be a noticeable difference? The last thing I want is to make a lateral move to a different receiver. My speakers are all Definitive Technology (BP10B fronts plus sub, center, and rears).

2. I notice the 3803 has 100 MHz component video switching. Component video switching is a must since I just ordered a Sony 60XBR950 which only has 2 component video inputs. Has anybody noticed video signal degradation by using the 3803 as a video switch?

I really like the price of the 3803 as discussed in other threads considering I'm spending a pretty big chunk of change for the new TV. I'm not particularly worried about the potential soon release of the 3804 since the 3803 decodes many more formats than my current receiver will. Basically, would this be a smart upgrade? Thanks for your help!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
1) YES! Absolutely, moving from pro-logic to full 5.1 DD/DTS is a huge improvement, regardless of brand/model. I don't have much first-person experience with Denon, but they are regarded as a solid brand here, and they are packed with features to boot.

Brian N

Auditioning
Can anybody comment on how the two receivers compare? Specifically, if both receivers were sold today and had the same decoding capabilities, would the 3803 be a notch above, below, or the same as the H/K AVR25II? Thanks again for your help.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 3803 would be at least one, probably two notches up from this H/K. The processing alone is going to be worth it, going from Prologic to discrete digital audio is a BIG improvement. If you like the H/K, why not look at current H/K models such as the 630 or 7200?

2 component inputs is not enough? How many devices do you have that require component/HD inputs?

Brian N

Auditioning
I love my H/K, but am more than willing to try another reputable manufacturer, including Denon. I consider H/K and Denon as comparable manufacturers in the A/V receiver arena. As I mentioned earlier, we just paid quite a bit of money for our new TV, so the 6th Ave $650.00 price for the 3803 is very nice.

As far as component inputs go, the TV only has 2. I need a total of 3 for our cable box, XBox, and DVD player. The fact that the 3803 has two inputs is perfect because I can connect two of the above items to the receiver with the third going directly to the TV.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You should go to a store and compare receivers for yourself. Look at receivers from Denon, H/K, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, and NAD. All have similar priced receivers. Any one of them would be a big step up. But you may like one better than the other.

Brian N

Auditioning
I ended up getting a Sony 60XBR950. Unfortunately, it's backordered until mid-December, so I can't comment on how I like it in our house. The three or four times I saw it in stores, I was very impressed. I must admit, I spent quite a bit more time deciding on the television than the receiver. I have listened to Denon receivers in the past and have not been disappointed. This, in addition to the fact that I couldn't demo my current outdated receiver next to the 3803, made me decide to get the 3803. At a price of $650.00, I don't think it can be beat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks