OLD Projection TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew S, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

A while ago my uncle stopped by one day with an Extremely old projection tv that he was gonna bring to the dump. The way it works is there's a screen on a base and then there's a mirror in the front that folds down off of the base and reflects an image onto the screen. I'm not very familiar with how projectors work, but it reflects three lights onto the screen (red, green, blue I think?). What I'm wondering is if there's any thing I can do to make the picture look any better. I mean, it's an old peice of crap that was going to the dump with a single RF input, but I was still wondering if there was anything I could do with it, just to give me something to play around with.

Thanks.

Andrew

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, if that's what you want to do--"play with" something--no harm done. But you won't be able to improve the picture any.
    By the way, those red, green, and blue "lights" are the CRTs. [​IMG]

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I guess it depends on what you mean by "improve the picture". Does the projector work? Do you get a picture at all, and it looks bad? You might be able to try focusing the lenses and converging the guns (this means to align the images on the CRTs so they converge on the same point on the screen), and try tweaking the normal adjustments (contrast, brightness, color, etc.). But on a projector that old it's never going to look as good as a modern set. Also, if it's had a lot of use the CRTs may be worn out, resulting in a dim picture.

KJP