Old Paramount Shows (I.e Mannix, DM, etc)

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
After just e-mailing Paramount about the following shows being released to DVD: Mannix

Barnaby Jones

Cannon

Nash Bridges

Diagnosis Murder season 2+

I got the following reply:

In 2007, only additional seasons of Diagnosis Murder is on the schedule. None of the other series are scheduled, though they may be planned for 2008 - - but that’s very tentative.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Nick,

Thanks for the info. I'd have most of these on my "Sig" list but that list too big already
I'd love to see "Mannix" in particular. I figure that these titles are long shots for DVD's but who knows.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
A couple of "Mannix" episodes from season 1 ("The Name is Mannix" and "Skid Marks On A Dry Run") may be in the public domain as they are offered on a couple of classic TV compilation sets of public domain television episodes from Diamond Entertainment. Keep in mind that these are not official studio releases and are most likely sourced from 16 mm syndication prints.

T.V.'s Lost Shows - Action: http://www.oldies.com/product-view/4472GD.html

T.V.'s Lost Shows: http://www.oldies.com/product-view/4469GD.html

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
The Streets Of San Francisco.Thats one I would like to see from paramounts vault.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

It's little wonder that "other sources" are having a field day right now with these shows.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I think he's referring to the illegal "bootleg" sources....ie xfr quality poor, risky ventures (cut eps), ?-generation recordings, etc.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Ah yeah, if you look on IMDB or even tv.com you see on the forums for example Cannon someone posts Are DVD's coming out and almost 100% guaranteed that someone will go e-mail blah blah blah for series of Cannon great show or visit www. bootleggedsiteURLhere.com

JeffT.

Screenwriter
My first choice is THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) of course...but Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment, what other tv series does it have under it auspices that haven't been released on DVD yet?!

DECEMBER BRIDE (CBS 1954-59)
GUNSMOKE (CBS 1955-75) - The complete tv series not just select episodes.
SERGEANT BILKO (CBS 1955-59) - The complete tv series.
THE MILLIONAIRE (CBS 1955-60)
THE LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOUR (CBS 1957-60)
DESILU PLAYHOUSE (CBS 1958-60)
ONE STEP BEYOND (ABC 1959-61)
PETE AND GLADYS (CBS 1960-62)
MY THREE SONS (CBS 1960-72) - Especially the William Frawley seasons.
ROALD DAHL'S WAY OUT! (CBS 1961)
THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES (CBS 1962-71) - The complete tv series.
THE GREAT ADVENTURE (CBS 1963-64)
THE FUGITIVE (ABC 1963-67)
PETTICOAT JUNCTION (CBS 1963-70) - The complete tv series.
MAYBERRY R.F.D. (CBS 1968-71)

Off hand I can't think of any others that would personally interest me from this company.

I would likely get THE UNTOUCHABLES (ABC 1959-62) but it's not a priority with me and as a rule I really don't dig crime-law enforcement tv shows (it really depends upon the particular television series in question).

Jeff T.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Pete and Gladys somehow wound up with Embassy Entertainment, Norman Lear's company so I assume this is now under the auspices of Sony. Mayberry RFD was with Telepictures which was gobbled up by Warner so that is now a Warner property. However if we are going to list all of the shows that Paramount/Viacom/Worldvision/Republic/Spelling controls, it's a much longer list than what you put forth.

The Fugitive
The Untouchables
The Invaders
Our Miss Brooks
Trackdown
Streets of San Francisco
The Millionaire
The Young Lawyers
Coronet Blue
Love American Style
The Immortal
Petrocelli
Kate McShane
When Things Were Rotten
Bosom Buddies
Ben Casey
Breaking Point
People's Choice
Wendy and Me
Car 54
Mod Squad
Barnaby Jones
The Defenders
The Nurses
For the People
Hotel de Paree
Slattery's People
The Reporter
Mr. Broadway
Shane
The Good Guys
He and She
Governor and JJ
Run Buddy Run

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Realistically, I can't very well expect "Trackdown" and "The Defenders" to see the light of day, but I would certainly hope that the first three series listed would see a release to DVD soon--there are many of us by now aniticipating "The Fugitive". Alot of people cite "Coronet Blue" which I have no inkling about. Seeing as it is a 60s era drama, though, it's right up my alley and I'd very likely 'blind buy' it.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've seen a few episodes of Trackdown (Robert Culp's first series based on the 19th Century files of the Texas Rangers), which isn't that good. As with Dragnet, there's too much narration by the main character. If Trackdown had been a radio show as well, that would be understandable, but in this case it didn't help. Culp fared much better in both I SPY and The Greatest American Hero.

Coronet Blue recycles the "main character has amnesia" plot, also used in "A Man Called Shenendoah" western series starring Robert Horton. As with Shenandoah, Coronet Blue was also filmed in 1965...however the contemporary series sat on a shelf for 2 years until it got on a network. The episode I saw guest starred Candice Bergen as a young woman who works for a space center, to which our hero goes for answers. Neither series ever resolved the main characters' situations, and they were interesting at times but not sustainable over the long haul.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The so-called "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" is coming out early next year as "I Love Lucy, Seasons 7, 8 and 9."

No one has mentioned "The Lucy Show," unless I overlooked it. Isn't that owned by Paramount? You'd think they'd consider it now, since "I Love Lucy" is coming to an end.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann

Not so. According to the information sent to me by the research division of the Museum of Television and Radio in New York some years ago, the rights to the crypto-classic Way Out belong to the son of producer David Susskind, producer/director Andrew Susskind through his company "Pamadisam".

The digital fate of such obscure programming is going to depend, not on mass-volume corporates like Paramount/CBS Home Video, but on small specialty homevideo companies (like S'more Entertainment) that will put the money and time into carefully restoring and marketing such material, with the corresponding realistic expectations (which the huge mass-marketeers lack) of what 40+-year-old obscure tv programming can ever hope to achieve sales-wise.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are in for a treat. They are working on Mannix, Streets of SF and Untouchables. Not exactly sure when, but they might be out as early as next year.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23