What's new

Old pair of JBL LX44s with bad woofers. (1 Viewer)

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old pair of JBL LX44s (at least 10 years old) where the rubber around the woofers has broken and flaked away. Id like to replace the woofers but I'm not sure where to go to find the right 8" woofers etc.

They are excellent speakers, and always sounded incredible until a few years ago when the rubber started breaking off. They were $600 a pair at the time.

Well built, heavy enclosures with a nice rich full sound (and so much better than any of the current JBL lines IMHO.).

Any advice? Id like to use them as Zone 2 speakers for my bedroom but might even consider selling them once fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
there are many re-foaming kits that will replace the surround, also there's companies that will re-foam it professionally if you aren't up to the task, sorry i don't know any urls but there are a few.

If you are going to re-foam them, make sure the spider isn't permanently pulled back by the magnet, my friend had a pair of advents that the surround had been gone so long that the voice coil was naturally pulled against the the back of the motor assembly.

if they are so trashed that you can't re-foam them you would need to look at the cross-over and deduce where the XO point is for the woofer and find a driver that works with that freq, i think :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks