Old not needed VCR Tapes...Trash Them?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Tami, Feb 18, 2006.

1. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

Just boxing tapes I want to keep (cleaning out an old Pre HT Entertainment Center Kids use for Gaming) and maybe convert to DVD someday, and I had some trash tapes...old contests, PC demos, etc. Don't know if it's proper to put them in the Trash or what? Trying to do the right thing!

Thanks!

2. andrew markworthy

FWIW, I went throught hte same thing about four years ago when we went all-digital. I fast forwarded through all the stuff I was planning to throw out to make sure there wasn't anything I really wanted on them, then dumped them all at a local garbage dump that deposits such things in landfill.

Incidentally, if you're planning to copy the remaining tapes to DVD I'd advise doing it sooner rather than later (it's tedious, but it gives you something to do in the evening if you're bored [​IMG]). Tapes have a rather limited life and I found when I was copying my tapes to disc that a worryingly high proportion were beginning to show signs of rot. I know this will cue the inevitable response of 'I've had VCR tapes for 200000 years and they are still as good as new' but believe me, tape rot is for most people a reality, no matter how carefully the tapes have been kept.

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Watch 'Castaway' before getting rid of those tapes. They could save your life...