Old non-anamorphic titles from Fox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    We've all seen them. We know they were from the early days of Fox films on DVD. The worst thing: We know we bought a couple of them. The idea of this thread is to let it out into the open about which non-anamorphic titles from Fox we bought and also have the best transfers. I only bought four non-anamorphic titles from Fox and these were the titles I bought:

The Abyss
    History of the World Part 1
    Strange Days
    Young Frankenstein

In all due respect to anamorphic fans, I own a regular television and I don't mind the black bars whatsoever, so non-anamorphic isn't as big a problem as it is for some, but personally, I don't care. I just care idf the film looks horrible.

Out of the films I bought from Fox in non-anamorphic widescreen, the winner is (believe it or not) "History of the World Part 1." The transfer is so sharp and so clean that to my eye, no pixelation or edge enhancemet was seen. The print was so clean, it represented one of the best (if not the very best) non-anamorphic transfers I have ever seen. Although it fell short in the extras department, the only other extra I could see on this DVD besides a trailer, which is included on the DVD, is a commentary by Mel Brooks. I didn't mind what was actually there, though.

So c'mon and let it out. Don't be embarrassed to mention the non-anamorphic titles you bought. We all have at least one from our collection from Fox. Let's hear from you now.

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

The only anamorphic DVD I got is Rush Hour 2. Jaws the Revenge and Planet of the Apes (original) are non anamorphic. No biggy. As long as it's OAR, I'm happy.

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The Abyss is the only non-anamorphic title I am sure about. I also have The Longest Day and Tigerland, but I am not positive if they are anamorphic or not.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

THE THING
    TRUE LIES
    Probably more, but those are 2 that I watch more often than not.

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

These are the early non-anamorphic Fox titles I own:

Original Planet of the Apes
    Escape from the Planet of the Apes
    The Abyss
    True Lies
    Romancing the Stone
    The Jewel of the Nile
    Die Hard 2 (First Release)
    Die Hard with a Vengeance (First Release)

Of these, I found the Planet of the Apes transfer to be the best, with The Abyss a close second. The True Lies transfer is sort of "in-between" with some NTSC aliasing and EE evident.

The worst transfer by far is the original Die Hard with a Vengeance release. As somebody here once described this transfer: "It's Alive!" Of course, with the Die Hard films, one can simply purchase the new 5-Stars. (I opted to replace just the original Die Hard since I'm not a huge fan of this series.)

I currently own a FPTV system (it's a native 4:3 panel LCD projector with a 16:9 mode) and have found that with the aid of the line doubler/scaler I can rarely tell the difference between a really good non-anamorphic transfer and an average anamorphic transfer.

6. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

My nonanamorphic Fox dvd's include

Commando
    Volcano
    The original Die hard DVD's which I gave to my brother when replaced with the re-releases
    The abyss
    There's something about Mary
    The longest day

PS The thing is Universal, not Fox, I believe

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'd gladly re-buy anamorphic SEs of The Edge, Romancing the Stone, and The Jewel of the Nile.

8. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Is there a site where one can look up whether or not a DVD is anamorphic or not?

9. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I went to get Tremors on DVD and was suprised it wasnt animorphic. Hopefully there will be a re-release of this one. Hate to hold off on it but....

10. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

Non-anamorphic Fox titles that I own include, among others:

The Towering Inferno
    The Poseidon Adventure

We were told that The Poseidon Adventure had some audio problems but could be re-released in 2002. So far, it doesn't look like this is going to happen. I can only hope that these, along with the others mentioned in this thread, get revisited soon with new anamorphic tranfers, ungraded audio and special edition/Five Star Collection treatment.

11. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I have lots of non-anamorphic films and would replace them if they were redone. The quality of the anamorphic transfer is simply better.

Secondly, you may not have a 16:9 TV now, but you will eventually. Then you will wish that your DVD's matched your TV.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Two of my favorite oldies were released no anamorphic and only two channel stereo sound - no 4.0
    1. Love is a many splendored thing - picture quality good but the sound is bad. Fox did a four channel to towo channel conversion of the sound in the early eighties - it was not done right and theyhave been using this defective soundtrack for almost twenty years.
    if they got the original four channel stereo mags out and did a 4.0 transfer the sound would be much better today.
    2. An Affair to Remember - the old laser had terrible picture but excellent sound. The DVDhas GREAT picture quality but the sound is so low fi two channel it is unbelievable! a new transfer in 4.0 would solve the problem.

14. Han

Han Second Unit

Though I don't own these (specifically because they aren't anamorphic), I trying really hard to hold off until anamorphic version come out (if ever)...
    The Abyss
    Office Space Oh! Oh!
    There's Something About Mary
    True Lies
    and Speed (which I'll get soon enough).

15. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Two more non-anamorphic titles that Fox needs to reissue:
    Raising Arizona
    Broadcast News

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Here's mine:
    Affair to Remember
    Musicals: (what I'd give to have nice new 16x9 HD-downconversions for these)...
    Oaklahoma
    South Pacific
    King and I
    Others:
    True Lies
    Tremors
    All the other titles I wanted badly but stayed true to my principle to try and boycot all non-16x9 WS DVDs!!!

17. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Seems I read something about a SE of Raising Arizona coming out soon??? Probably next year but it would be HILARIOUS to have a commentary from Nicholas Cage and Holly Hunter on this gem. I love this movie.
    Young Frankenstein looks pretty good now but would re-buy it. See these studios are smart as they know that there are people like us who would buy the movie several times. [​IMG]
    I agree about the original Planet of the Apes. Looks fantastic on my 53 inch Sony.

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

19. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I second David Boulet's choices.
    I would love to have anamorphic rereleases
    of
    Affair To Remember, Oklahoma!, and King and I.[​IMG]

20. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit