What's new

old newbie: cd vs dvd (1 Viewer)

sandy stein

Auditioning
As a newbie from the 60's (you know, the vinyl era), I am in the process of putting together another home audio system(mine went the way of downsizing). I would like to know if I should by a cd player (either an older model or one of the new ones) or a dvd player. Does a new dvd player play cd's better than a cd player made in the 90's? Help!!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Sandy

welcome to HTF:)

I think the general feeling is that for non-critical listening a DVD player would suffice; moreover these days you could get a reasonably decent universal player (that plays DVD-video, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, etc) relatively inexpensively. however to fully appreciate this you would also need a multichannel receiver or amplifier and a full complement of speakers.

that's quite a bit of equipment, so if you aren't interested in home theatre, video and/or the newer sound formats, for pretty much the same money you could get a somewhat better CD player, especially if you already have a stereo amp and speakers.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd only buy an older CD player if I were interested in it from the point of view of 'audio jewelry'. This technology has advanced rapidly and I can't find a compelling reason to buy an older unit. Specs on newer units are better, their DACs are better, and it seems like the engineers have finally figured out how to make this format behave properly. 'Course, better recordings and mastering doesn't hurt! Competent DVD players that do a fine job with CD's are abundant. Also there are some fairly low priced units that do it all for someone who wants a unit with a broad range of capability as FeisalK stated. Economically, they make great sense what with DVDA, SACD slugging it out and waiting for consumers to decide which format will survive. Maybe both?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd get a dedicated CD player (preferably one that can do SACD as well) if only because I prefer to devote a DVD player (an animal not noted for ruggedness and longevitiy — so far at least) to the task of screening movies.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
maybe someone will come out with one that'll play my beloved Beach Boys 8 tracks and SACD...i can only hope :D

Chip E

Screenwriter
I agree with Jack. I like my DVD player to just play movies. Vise versa for my CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.