Old Movie Theatre Screen Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Runner913, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Runner913

Runner913 Auditioning

Dear All,

I am a new member still in the early dreaming stages of my Home Theater System. I am an Asst. General Manager for a theatre of a rather Large Movie Theatre Company, and we have one of our old Multiplex theatres closing its doors for good. The company will gut the theatre of everything that is reusable (projector, amps, etc), but they will trash the screens, sometimes the seats, poster cases, and other junk.

The Question: I will be able to get my hands on a large section of the old screens. Now, we do a fairly good job keeping the screens clean, but with age they do tend to discolored (or become colored since they are white[​IMG] and become grayish. Would this be worth the effort removing and making a DIY screen? Has anyone ever tried to use an old movie theatre screen for their HT projectors?

Another Question: As some of you know some (like these) Movie Theatre screens have millions of tiny holes so that they are acoustically invisible, and yet still reflect the light that is projected on them. Would this distract from the Home Theater because the seats will be sitting a ton closer than in an auditorium?

Thanks For All Your Help! As you might imagine, by being a Movie Theatre manager, I do love movies and have a good start towards a real HT, but this (projector/screen) would be one giant leap for mankind.

Any Help would be great.

Thanks,

Mark
    Houston, TX

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Welcome to the Forum, Mark!
    That should be easy enough for you to check yourself. In the typical HT, the seating will be 10-15 ft. from the screen. So, get that close to your theater screen and see what you see. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Also, you may potentially have some 'aliasing' between a fixed-grid projector, a DLP or LCD system interfering with the hole pattern of the film screen.

On the other hand, various other screen-makers do a variety of dot-pitches, and I haven't seen any complaints. (I rejected the Dalite AT screens for other reasons, so I don't know.

You may be able to clean the screen successfully; perhaps a bit of (dilute at first) Windex.

The hardest thing I'd be aware of would be trying to get the screen flat. If you're doing a permenant wall mount with the speakers behind, that's one thing - build a wooden frame, cut the screen large, and carefully stretch and (probably) staple on the outside or back edges of the frame. I don't know if I'd try to do any sort of non-permenant screen..

Back to cleaning, well, if it's actually a true gray (neutral,) then why worry? Think of it as working on getting a Grayhawk screen!

the short of it is, grab a couple of big chunks, and give it a try. What's the worst that could happen?

I remember having a lot of fun when a nearby multiplex just closed it's doors. The only thing that they did was vacuum the cash drawers, retrieve the candy, and return the features. Everything else, including all of the personnel files were still there... we grabbed a lamp-house and projector head, along with a bunch of lenses...

Leo

4. Runner913

Runner913 Auditioning

Thanks Wayne/Leo.

I have a few months till we close the theatre, so I will have time to pull the specks that we most likely have filed away somewhere (maybe in the "deep 6")!
    I am like a kid in a candy store. I just can not wait till I get my pick after they clean out. I am 100% sure I will not be as lucky to get lamp houses and the like, but stranger things have happened.

Thanks Again!
    Mark