old minisystem as a source

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sathyan, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

I have an old Magnavox (M# MX1800BK01) compact stereo system from the mid-1980's which include radio, dual cassette (w/ two mics), and a turntable (33 & 45). It still works well. As I don't have many cassettes or LP's anymore I would like to avoid buying new players to go with my Onkyo SR500 receiver. Do you think this Magnavox could be hooked up to the Onkyo as a source without causing damage? I have not tried it yet as there is no pre-out, only RCA plugs for connecting the 8 ohm speakers. The Magnavox is only 1.5 Wpc. Is that still too much to connect to a line-level input?

thanks,
    sathyan

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Are you talking about using that old compact "system" as a source for phono and tape? Does the Magnavox have a phono-out stage? And an "Aux out" stage? And, as for the phono-stage, I take it the thing uses a moving-magnet phono cartridge?

Even if it did have the above, wouldn't you be concerned about the quality (or lack thereof)? Much better to get a separate turntable/tonearm combo with enough gain to drive the Onkyo's phono-input stage (and the Onkyo provides for phono capability, correct?).

But I doubt the old Magnavox all-in-unit has this sort of flexibility.

3. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

yes, intended as a source for phono and tape playback
    the Magnavox has no phono out, aux out, pre out, or tape loop; only headphone and speaker level out

I don't know what "moving magnet phono cartridge means". Those words do not appear in the owner's manual, the cartridge does not appear separable from the tone arm; only the stylus is.

I realize that quality would be lacking
    I'm trying to save money here. My Onkyo doesn't have phono preamp so that would be another $50 there. So buying new sources would be:
    Tape: Onkyo TA-RW244 $170
    Turntable: Denon DP-29F $150
    By the way, are these acceptable low-end options?

I could buy CD's of the few recordings I have on LP and casette for that price

My basic question is: Will connecting 1.5Wpc speaker-level output to line-level input cause damage? How about headphone output?

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think MCM Electronics has a converter that allows you to convert speaker outputs into line outs.