What's new

Old MGM movies on HD DVD? (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I remember some time back, some folks talking about the fact that WB had control over older MGM titles and could release them on HD DVD.

I was wondering what some of those titles are and what old MGM titles have already been released on HD DVD.

I am hoping Wizard of Oz & Logan's Run would be among those titles.

Thanks.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'd be interested too. I've had my eye on the latest OZ set to replace what I have. But I'd wait on something better, most definately.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Grand Prix and Forbidden Planet are classic MGM titles that Warner has put out on HD DVD. Those are all I know of at the moment, but there may be more. Warner actually owns all the pre 1986 MGM library except for the Bond films. They also own the RKO library.

Doug

Edit: Add to that The Dirty Dozen and Mutiny on the Bounty,

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think MGM could be very exciting. Last thing I bought was Season 1 of Flipper from the early 1960s and the transfer must be what they call reference quality. I was stunned.

Mutiny on the Bounty would be fantastic.

I've never been happy with Logan's Run. The standard DVD has a lot of nice features but I remember the print needing extensive work.

These studios will certainly only get a double dip from me if they fix things. I hope it happens. MGM has done some great work in the past like their Midnite Movies releases. More of those would be a reason to celebrate.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Grand Prix look amazing. One of the bet looking HD DVDs I own. I also think Forbidden Planet looks great. One of the best looking early CinemaScope movies I've seen. I haven't seen the other two on HD DVD yet.

I'll have to rent Flipper and check it out.

Doug

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

The Corman/Price/Poe films would look stunning in HD, particulary The Masque of Red Death.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you are refering to Mutiny on the Bounty 1962 that is actually on HD-DVD allready and IMHO it looks very good. :cool:

Mutiny on the Bounty
Production Year: 1962
Studio: Warner Bros.
Widescreen 2.76:1 Color
Audio:
ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Plus [CC]
SPANISH: Dolby Digital Plus
FRENCH: Dolby Digital Plus

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

If your referring to my referral of of Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) I know it's on HD DVD. Someone was asking what classic MGM films were on HD from Warners. So I was responding with the ones I knew about.

Doug

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Something tell me that Oz won't appear until 2009...its 70th Anniversary. Just a feeling. ;)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Ken:

"Ryan's Daughter" would be STUNNING in HD if the SD version is anything to go by. However, I actually think we'll see Dr. Zhivago before Ryan since it's much more popular, though Ryan would almost certainly look better between the two in HD.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
"Ryans Daughter" had been recently restored which is why I was hoping that that 65mm film would make it to HD sooner than later.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The quality of 65mm transfers has not been that great. The telecine equipment available for 65mm seems to be outdated. A good example is the Spartacus HD DVD. The best luck with large format transfers has been to use a 35mm intermediary. Grand Prix was done this way and looks stunning.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ryans Daughter was also a 2 disc SE- and iirc, Warner said that the (going forward from the formats release) all new 2 disc SE dvd releases would also be released on the HD formats. Ryans Daughter just missed the format launch by a few months, didn't it? But we've already seen Bullitt (and '05 SE re-release) and Goodfellas make it out. If the sales were decent for Ryans Daughter on sd, I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in HD sooner rather than later.

Wizard of Oz is showing up on foreign retailers lists as due in December. I would love to see it get released here as I've already sold off my dvd in anticipation.
Singin' In The Rain was also to be coming in Q4- don't know if one classic release precludes the other from happening at the same time, but I would personally rather have Oz if there had to be choice between them.

I don't know if 1982 is considered old, but one MGM branded release that Warner owns now, that I would love to have/see in HD is Peter Weirs Year Of Living Dangerously. The film just oozes atmosphere and everytime I watch it I find myself hypnotized. The current release (if it's even still in print) is just a rebaged MGM disc rife with artifacting. At the very least, a new remastered transfer would be appreciated.

Put me down for Logans Run too. A remake is in the works, so we probably won't see an HD release for another year or two.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oops, I was thinking the old B&W Mutiny on the Bounty with Laughton & Gable. I've only ever seen it and the one with Hopkins & Gibson.

Well, Flipper isn't quite reference quality, I noticed the sound was a little wobbly on an episode I watched over the weekend. It was at the beginning and didn't last long. Otherwise Flipper is a first rate transfer after one double-sided DVD watched. Worth a look for curious, a purchase for fans.

I don't know if I'd upgrade any that I already have with the exception of perhaps The Raven, but I'd buy all Midnite movie releases I don't have like Masque and of course Conqueror Worm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks