What's new

Old Mac games on newer Macs and iPads? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

Thought I'd chime in because I was feeling nostalgic about the good old days when we used to play Marathon and Doom at work on the network after hours! Remember those old days of Mac IIci's and Mac Duos?

Anyway, a few favorites I was feeling nostalic for is Hell Cats Over The Pacific. Pretty simplistic game by today's standards, but I had fun with that! Also had fun with Rescue! The Star Trek TNG game that had to remove the Trek references as Paramount asked them to. And of course Flight Simulator.

I was wondering about trying to resurrect those games and wondered if anyone has recreated them for newer Macs and the iPad! I still have an older functioning 2300c that I might be able to find the game and install.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There are some games from my old IIGS I still think are great... Space Quest 1/2/3.. I'm sorry, classic stuff there. Defender of the Crown. King of Chicago. 3 Stooges. Basically anything Cinemaware. Most importantly is this: ZANY GOLF

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's hard to find a good goofy golf / mini-golf game with multiplayer. Any current suggestions for iPhone / iPad? It's a genre my wife and I enjoy, but I've only found a couple variants over the years that hit the right style and rules. I recently tried Super Stickman Golf, but multi-player is a race, not about strokes, so not for us.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Matt, I had never seen those games before! I was always playing flying or driving or shooting games!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There were some great, great IIGS games.. but anything Cinemaware was classic stuff. Games with real story.. and they looked beautiful. The IIGS had "High Color" (today we'd think of it as 16-bit color, or 32k colors on screen).. meanwhile, at the same time, the IBM had CGA (4 color) and some had EGA (16 color) It wasn't until a few years after the GS popped out that VGA came along.

Anyway, some great stuff.. Zany Golf is hands down the greatest mini-golf game ever created

loupurdie

Auditioning
Real Name
loupurdie
I've had some bad luck with Routers lately, and I'm looking for an all in 1 solution to my problems. I wanna be able to share files at a decent speed over my network, I wanna have 3-4 gaming consoles plus phones, ipads, macs, pcs all attached to one router simultaneously. I don't mind shelling out the extra cash if it works great. I'm currently on TalkTalk in the UK, so not sure if it will work great with that.

DIY

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I learned of an interesting development today. Marathon, that original shooter for Mac in 1994 has just been ported over for the iPad. It was done by a fan in his own time. Bungie, who originally published Marathon seems to be blessing it and promoting it. The game is free at the app store. And a $4 version is coming with more updated textures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks