Old home speakers set up in 7.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve.M, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Steve.M

Steve.M Auditioning

Hello to everyone. Great forum with some outstanding help here. Anyways, here is my question.
    I'm replacing my 11 year old Aiwa shelf system with a new receiver. A Kenwood VR-6070 setup with 7.1 surround sound. The 6070 is a xmas present so that's done. However I'm thinking about the Yamaha's NS-P220 since I can get them for $110. Now, can I use my old (sound great) Aiwa shelf speakers as the front left and right. Then use the Yamaha's for center, surround left and right, and surround back left and right. What I was thinking was that the bookshelf speakers can fill the mid range that will be left out with the satelites and subwoofer.
    Here's the link to the yamaha's: http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...PK00010NS-P220
    Would it be best just to use the yamaha's and then get 2 more satelites for the back?
    Thanks
    SM

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

You would be better off using your Aiwa's for the surround back L&R. as they may not timbre match the Yamaha center. But there is nothing saying you can't give it a try to see how the Yamaha blends with the Aiwa's. [​IMG]