What's new

old equipment+anamorphic DVD's=migrane (1 Viewer)

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
DVD's were suppose to be so good. I remember when I bought my DVD player 2 years ago and got Conan. It was so great to see the movie in widescreen and with the great color and such. I couldn't wait to get more of my movies on DVD format and junk my VHS tapes.
But Conan wasn't anamorphic and soon the horror is revealed. Because I don't have a new 16x9 enchanced TV I have to suffer with a downconverted picture on these stupid DVD's which leaves horrid diagonal lines. I can't watch them anymore. Give me my widescreen VHS tapes anyday. I just watched the Neverending story....UGH! The pain! I can see where every line was removed and it causes those jagged lines which snake along when the picture moves.
So I have to buy a new expensive TV? What if I can't? Why don't they make nice non-anamorphic DVD's for all of us that can't keep buying new TV's and such?
Ok, I feel better now that I've got that out. I assume there are others out there who feel the way I do about this.
------------------

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
it seems like your dvd player might be at fault. i have plenty of Anamorphic DVDS (which in my opinion are way superior because of the fact that with a digital tv they are perfect) and they all work fine on my regular zenith 25" tv.
You can even change the settings of your dvd player to say you are using a 16x9 tv and the bars go away.
but anyway..i dont know what the diagonal lines you are talking about..but the anamorphic dvds and dvds that say enhanced for widescreen tvs all work perfect on my tv.
just my opionion though..
------------------
- Jason
My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
"what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
You need to get a player that either gives a downconverted picture with NO artifacts, but a softer image, like any Sony player, or one which gives minimal artifacts and a sharp image, like either all Panasonic or Pioneers players. AVOID Toshiba players! They are artifact-city!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Toshiba OEMs players for a number of other companies, including Onkyo and Mitsubishi. I don't know if the Marantz player is also made by Toshiba or not. But if it is, that would explain your downconversion headaches.
Get a Sony, Pioneer or Panasonic player, they do a great job at downconversion. Or get a 16:9 TV or a 4:3 TV with a squeeze mode. But if you're not planning on upgrading your TV anyway, the DVD player is a cheaper upgrade.
KJP

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Here's another observation vote for no diagonals/jaggies with anamorphic, which is about all I'll buy. I have a Pioneer DV333 with a 10 year old 35 incher.
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
You can even change the settings of your dvd player to say you are using a 16x9 tv and the bars go away.
Which, of course, will display the picture vertically stretched, distorting it in the process. It's like watching a movie in a funhouse mirror.
Most of us don't want the black bars to "go away." We want to see the picture as it was shot and projected in theaters.

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else using a 2nd generation Marantz DVD player? Comments on downconversion on them?
Anyone have one of the newer 3rd generation Marantz players? Comments on them?
------------------

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Go Panasonic or Pioneer. I have a 16x9 capabale TV now but when I had an "old fashioned" 32" Toshiba TV downconverted DVD's still looked much better. I was using a Pioneer DVD player at the time.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks