Old EPI rebuild - need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithBogert, Dec 7, 2002.

1. KeithBogert

KeithBogert Auditioning

I have some old (1981) EPI bookshelf speakers lying in the basement. I was thinking of buying new, but then I thought I could save huge money and have more fun building a new component system in the old EPI cabinets.

The cabinet is ~ 1113 cu. inches in volume, or about .644 cubic feet. It is sealed.

It holds a single 8" driver with the cutout being 7 1/8". The driver was flush mounted however, so there is a 1/2 lip that it can rest on. The total outside diameter cannot exceed 8 1/4"

The tweeter hole is cutout at 3 3/4". Again there is a lip and the total tweeter diameter cannot exceed 4 7/8".

I am looking for a nice, but inexpensive driver combination here that can drop right in. I can modify that box, but was hoping to avoid that.

I would also need a crossover. I really don't trust myself to build one as I never have before and don't know much about them internally.

Budget is low - maybe $50 - $70 per speaker combo. So a finished pair is under 150. Cheaper is better though as a baby is on the way.:b

Any thoughts or suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks

2. KeithBogert

KeithBogert Auditioning

^ ^ ^bump^ ^ ^

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

4. KeithBogert

KeithBogert Auditioning

That's great. Thank you.
    I may go that route, but I have never actually liked the tweets in the EPI's. The bottom end was wonderful, but those tweeters just could not keep up.[​IMG]
    Great resource though.