Old Crown amp for passive sub?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Philip Hamm, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey I'm going to have passive subs built into the walls in my new house. I have an old Crown amplifier ready to go, hopefully it will work OK. Does fidelity mean much for a sub amp like this? This thing is MASSIVE and rack mountable, which is good because it willbe rack mounted in a hole behind the home theater stuff.

Anybody using a CROWN with their passive sub?

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I've been familiar with Crown since the 80's and I always found that the sound quality has been good especially for the large amount of power that it kicks out. Depending on how old your Crown is and what model, you may even have some digital processing when it comes to sound reproduction. Great amp, one mean workhorse also. I'm using an AB amp for my two subs and this thing is rated at 250 watts per channel RMS, bridgeable to 500 watts RMS mono @ 8ohms. I recall selecting the AB over the Crown when I got it because of the price, $600 (early 1990s) as oppose to 1200 for a Crown.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Go for it Phil...got a pic of it?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wayne, I think I may have what you're talking about.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

It's a Crown DC300A. It describes itelf as a "LABARATORY POWER AMPLIFIER".Here are some listings on "AudioWeb".

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

#96 in Stereophile Magazines 40 years of Stereophile: The Hot 100 Products

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Philip

Is there any reason you would not use your Crown Macro Reference with a sub? 760 watts unbridged. Over 1,000 watts bridged.

I recall about a year ago that you took the Crown out of the closet. Is there a problem with it, or do you have an itch for something different?

At some point I may use my Citation 7.1 in bridged mode to drive something like an SVS B4+.

Thanks
    Artie

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I using an old Altec Lansing 9444A/SA and amazed at the sheer power it has (two tempests).

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Arthur,

I think you've got the wrong Philip. I just got this amp from a friend of mine a couple days ago. It was sitting unused for years and I said I'd have a use for it. Cosmetically it's in really rough shape, and I think it's been pretty badly abused over the years. However, if it works I'm one happy camper.

I'm having two subs built in to the walls of my new home. I'm planning on running this monster in stereo (really a mono LFE signal split out) to the two subs.

Massive power. The transformer on this thing is absolutely gigantic. I think it has its own gravity. I thought this was a POS throw-away and here it turns out to be a nice amp!