What's new

Old Cd player vs Old DVD player for cd playback? (1 Viewer)

Nick Laho

Grip
Okay here goes: I have this this really old CD player from 1988 and this DVD player from back when they were new. The Cd player is a Pioneer PD-M450 changer with 6 slots and the DVD player is this Proscan model that came around back whenever DVD players were new. I am planning to upgrade to a new cd player in the future, but for now I want to find out which one of these two would be good for me now. So does the old cd player compare to the old dvd player? Which one do you think would be best for CD PLAYBACK ONLY? I am asking because I "think" that the old cd player sounds better. It seems more coherent and less harsh in the high end. The low end might be just a little lighter but overall I think it is better. Can anyone validate my simple analysis?

By the way, the old cd player is a totall tank and has lasted the last 16 years(My age too) perfectly fine. The DVD player hasn't been so lucky. It is kinda glitchy and freezes sometimes. One thing that sucks though is that the old cd player has no remote, but the dvd player does.

Nick Laho

Grip
Okay here goes: I have this this really old CD player from 1988 and this DVD player from back when they were new. The Cd player is a Pioneer PD-M450 changer with 6 slots and the DVD player is this Proscan model that came around back whenever DVD players were new. I am planning to upgrade to a new cd player in the future, but for now I want to find out which one of these two would be good for me now. So does the old cd player compare to the old dvd player? Which one do you think would be best for CD PLAYBACK ONLY? I am asking because I "think" that the old cd player sounds better. It seems more coherent and less harsh in the high end. The low end might be just a little lighter but overall I think it is better. Can anyone validate my simple analysis?

By the way, the old cd player is a totall tank and has lasted the last 16 years(My age too) perfectly fine. The DVD player hasn't been so lucky. It is kinda glitchy and freezes sometimes. One thing that sucks though is that the old cd player has no remote, but the dvd player does.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think you're the only one who could make that determination,unless you invite us over. ;)
.....but just for anecdote's sake[sp?] my 10 year old Pioneer Elite cd player "sounds" better to me them all the DVD players I had for CD listening except the current Denon DVD-2900. I hope that helps? ;)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think you're the only one who could make that determination,unless you invite us over. ;)
.....but just for anecdote's sake[sp?] my 10 year old Pioneer Elite cd player "sounds" better to me them all the DVD players I had for CD listening except the current Denon DVD-2900. I hope that helps? ;)

StephenHa

Second Unit
my current philips dvd recorder sounds better than my toshiba dual disc dvd player, and about the same as my h/k 5 disc cd player, some of the dvd players don't have the circuitry to do music well, especially the older models, personaly I have never heard an rca cd player that sounded as good as the pioneerso their dvd player would follow that suit (proscan is rca)

StephenHa

Second Unit
my current philips dvd recorder sounds better than my toshiba dual disc dvd player, and about the same as my h/k 5 disc cd player, some of the dvd players don't have the circuitry to do music well, especially the older models, personaly I have never heard an rca cd player that sounded as good as the pioneerso their dvd player would follow that suit (proscan is rca)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, the Pioneer is a changer; the DVD player is not, so it may have advantages the DVD player doesn’t. For instance, if you ever want to load up a stack of discs and hit “shuffle” you’ll be out of luck with the DVD player. Some DVD players lack a “repeat” function, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, the Pioneer is a changer; the DVD player is not, so it may have advantages the DVD player doesn’t. For instance, if you ever want to load up a stack of discs and hit “shuffle” you’ll be out of luck with the DVD player. Some DVD players lack a “repeat” function, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Just listen, and use whichever sounds best to you. If you have digital-out capabilities, include that too as a setup variation as that will sound different too (different DAC). USe whichever sounds best.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Just listen, and use whichever sounds best to you. If you have digital-out capabilities, include that too as a setup variation as that will sound different too (different DAC). USe whichever sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks