OLD BOY 4-disc R3 deluxe edition in handcrafted case

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian Thibodeau, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

Anybody had a boo at the specs on the upcoming extremely limited edition 4-disc collector's edition of OLD BOY in a 100% handcrafted metal box. This thing looks wicked. I'm hoping to see this movie at the Toronto Film Festival, and if it's as cool as I've heard, I might just spring for this edition:

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=19912

2. Manus

Manus Second Unit

Brian,

I have just received the 2-disc version of this great film but was disappointed to find that although the menus are available in english and the film is subtitled in english , none of the extras on disc 2 have any english subtitles [​IMG]
    Maybe check that out before you shell out for the 4-discer ?

Manus

3. KyleG

KyleG Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Be prepared to shell out the bucks my friend. This is one of the best movies from last year.

4. Brian Thibodeau

I'm not overly concerned about subbing on extras for Korean discs, although it would certainly be nice. As I mentioned over in the "Asian Cinema on DVD" thread in Software, I generally prefer the low-key behind-the-scenes material on Korean discs to much of the same stuff on American discs, since there seems to be far more footage of people simply making the movie and a lot less studio-produced "interviews" and puffy promotional material. The fact that my knowledge of Korean is very, very limited actually allows a weird kind of advantage in simply watching talented artisans at work. Obviously, subs would be cool, but I can live without 'em. One place I would kill to see subtitles, however, is on the audio commentaries to a great number of Korean films in my collection.

Still haven't decided which version to get, though. I'm about 50/50 at this point, regardless of subbed extras. That four-discer just looks so damned COOL!

5. Eric.

Eric. Stunt Coordinator

I have this pre ordered and i just can't wait to get my hands on it.I'm hoping for subtitles on the commentaries and i would be over the moon if that turns out to be the case.I'm told there will be space in the new collectors case to slip the original 2 disc set in along with the new ones.It looks like they are going out of there way to make this a complete package for fans of the movie around the world so fingers crossed that they get it right.
    As for the movie itself well i would rate it as good if not better than anything i have seen in the last 25 or 30 years [​IMG]

6. Darren_Reed

Darren_Reed Extra

Not sure if you guys know this, but Harry Knowles from aintitcool.com is doing one of the commentaries on the upcoming set, which will then be subtitled in korean! So you can count on at least one commentary you can follow, even if it isn't from the filmmakers..

7. Brian Thibodeau

There's so many Korean filmmakers contributing commentary tracks to their DVDs these days, with so little of what they say being translated for non-Koreans, and so many English-speaking film critics and historians living IN the country who could easily do an informed additional English-language track or at least work on subtitles for the filmmaker commentaries, that it amazes me the most recognizable western contributor they could find for a deluxe treatment of a film like this is Harry Friggin' Knowles. It's unbelievable that true fans and historians of Korean cinema, who are willing to dig deeper to understand the context of that country's fantastic cinematic renaissance (and the incredible modern history that often informs its makers) are left without a voice while Knowles probably didn't venture much further than his bedroom to regale us with his insights.

I really don't care what he has to say, but if and when I get this set, I will give it a listen (as far as I can bear) in fairness, but mostly just to confirm my suspicion that he won't be able to tell me anything I don't already know, nor anyone else anything they couldn't have picked up via a few internet searches, and a lot less than they probably should know about the country to fully appreciate cinema such as OLD BOY.

8. KyleG

KyleG Stunt Coordinator

In all fairness, Harry Knowles was a VERY early advocate of this film, and while I think Harry likes movies way more often than he doesn't (read: he likes crap A LOT for a guy who is such a cinephile. I may have spelled that incorrectly but hey, it's 3 am), I still think you gotta like the guy because he is such a MOVIE FAN. And really, isn't that why we're all here?

That said, I am interested to hear his commentary. He is a true fan of the film. And this film is not really mired in Korean history or anything...it's just a damn good story and an excellent film, from aspects both technical and artistic. So, to be a little more concise than I've been: give poor ol' Harry a chance. He's done more good for this film than harm.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

To ressurect an old thread...

I was fixing to order the 2 disc version from KoreanDVD's, but I wanted to make sure it was uncensored. Is there a better version out there (that's still in print)?

Thanks.

10. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

The R3 is uncensored as far as I know. Dvdcompare says "No cuts".

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Thanks, got mine ordered.