Old Bose-BuiltinVisible new HDTV

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Patrick_Hatcher, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Patrick_Hatcher

Patrick_Hatcher Auditioning

We have a Bose BuiltInvisible in our bedroom. The system used to be turned on by the use of a Video Detector. We have just purchased a new HDTV and now the detector doesn't work any longer (different frequency I think). Bose doesn't make a replacement part but instead suggested using the video out signal. Tried that and now I get this nasty buzzing sound due to, I think, bad or multi-grounding issues. The buzz goes away once I remove the cord from Video out
    My question are:

1) Is there a video detector that will work with a HDTV? The Bose uses a 8vdc.

2) If not, how would I go about finding the cause of this buzz?

TIA
    Patrick

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Could you describe your equipment. What TV do you have, sat or cable feeding it (brand/model), STB or no STB. What device is the video out you are using on (STB or TV).

3. Patrick_Hatcher

DishNetwork branded Thompson 34" HDTV. Model HD34-300. Fed by Dish 811 HD Receiver.
    TV and receiver are connected via DVI connection.

Sorry not sure what STB means.

hth and thanks for the help.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Set top box. Usually refers to the satellite or cable TV tuner box.

5. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

So is the Video Out you are connecting to the Bose system from the Dish 811 recvr??? If so then you might try disconnecting the sat in feed (RG6 coax) and the OTA antenna feed (if have one), one at a time. Power it all up each time and see if either of the coax cables is causing the ground loop. If you can make the noise stop with either disconnected then that is where we need to focus to make it stop. Please post the results of your testing.

6. Patrick_Hatcher

All is quiet only after the power is off. I get a buzz with or without the cable attached. Also tried using a ground isolator between the video out and the Bose and it was still buzzing.