old Adcom gtp400/gfa535 vs. new Harman Kardon hk3470 receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Russ, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

OK, for 2 channel stereo music listening, an old set of adcom gtp400 tuner/preamp combo along with an Adcom gfa535 60 watt per channel power amp vs. a brand new Harman Kardon hk3470 2 channel (100 watt per) stereo reciever.
    Speakers will probably be either Infinity interlude IL50 (with their bulit in self powered subs) or Polk RT25i plus a sub.
    Opinions please? Thanks in advance!

2. Nathan Hamstra

I don't have that exact model, but I also have a midline HT receiver (Sony DB 840), and a gtp something with the gfa545. I always use the adcom setup for music listening, and that is on top of the fact that I was really surprised at the musical quality of the sony, at least compared to yamahas in the same price range. The circuit layouts for simple stereo audio production haven't changed a whole lot over time, and the adcom units are almost certainly built to higher standards/quality parts/etc than a midline HT receiver.

Oh, and I'm listening to NHT SB3's, through MIT and transparent cabling, and I actually don't have a CD player at this point.