What's new

OKLAHOMA! Todd-ao version restored! (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Am I going crazy or was there a televized version with Sandy Duncan and Danny Kaye?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Ethan Riley said:
Am I going crazy or was there a televized version with Sandy Duncan and Danny Kaye?
It was with Danny Kaye and Woody Allen's least-favorite person in the world, Mia Farrow.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Joe Lugoff said:
It was with Danny Kaye and Woody Allen's least-favorite person in the world, Mia Farrow.
Duncan did play Peter in the 1979 Broadway revival, and bits of that performance have appeared on TV. The most memorable is probably the cast performance of Ugg-a-Wug during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in '79. She won a Tony for the role.

The Farrow/Kaye version televised in 1976 used a completely new score and set of songs written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley. I cannot remember any of them.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Dan...I guess it wasn't very good?? Because I'm sure I saw it too (I would have been ten) and I couldn't even remember it was Mia Farrow.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The Danny Kaye-Mia Farrow version is quite good. I still have a recording from the original 1976 broadcast, made first on UMatic 3/4 inch video tape.

The score is very nice. I probably watched this with my children many times in the late 70's.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dan_Shane said:
Duncan did play Peter in the 1979 Broadway revival, and bits of that performance have appeared on TV. The most memorable is probably the cast performance of Ugg-a-Wug during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in '79. She won a Tony for the role.
Sandy Duncan was nominated for a Tony for Peter Pan but she didn't win. Patti Lupone won that year for Evita. Sad to say, Sandy has never won the award despite several nominations.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Matt Hough said:
Sandy Duncan was nominated for a Tony for Peter Pan but she didn't win. Patti Lupone won that year for Evita. Sad to say, Sandy has never won the award despite several nominations.
Thanks for that correction. I always seem to recall my favorites as the winners. :)

The full length Kaye/Farrow teleplay can be found on YouTube. I watched it again and did find the acting just fine, but the music (for me) was as uninspired as I remembered. Only one day later I cannot hum a single bar, but the songs from the well-known Martin and Rigby videos are etched in my brain.

As are the tunes from OKLAHOMA!, to get this thread back on the rails.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Can't wait for this on Blu ray .. a few days before Christmas I found and had posted from the USA to Australia the original 1943 cast album of 'Oklahoma!' -- an album of the original 78s, not the LP or CD -- and have been playing it ever since. New steel needle for every side, of course. Also found a 1933 78 of Al Bowlly singing 'Hang Out the Stars of Indiana' as featured in 'Withnail and I' ... that's been constantly on the turntable too...

Troy Jones

Auditioning
Ken Koc said:
TCM Film Festival in April will be showing a restored Todd-Ao version of OKLAHOMA in 4K and shown in the proper 30 frames per second!!! Great news!!! Can a Blu Ray release be far behind???

Oklahoma! (1955)4K restoration presented in collaboration with Twentieth Century FoxFew actresses get to make their big-screen debuts in a film as eagerly awaited as Oklahoma!, but that's just what happened to Shirley Jones when Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein chose her over Joanne Woodward to

star in the film version of their first big hit. The songwriters held up making the film until they could get just the right picture. With the arrival of Todd-AO, Mike Todd's patented wide-screen process, they finally knew they could reveal the majesty of the frontier in all its glory, including corn as high as an elephant's eye (16 feet tall, to be exact). But despite the production's mammoth size, the focus remained simple, detailing the romance of farm girl Jones and cowboy Gordon MacRae. Agnes de Mille re-created much of her stage choreography, which had introduced modern dance to the stage musical, while director Fred Zinnemann brought a surprisingly realistic approach to the production.
This unique 4k presentation, painstakingly restored from 65mm Todd-AO elements by Twentieth Century Fox and Fotokem, will be screened at 30 frames per secondthe same frame rate as when the film was originally released in 1955. The original 6-track soundtrack has been also restored and re-mastered at Twentieth Century Fox, in collaboration with End Point Audio and Chase Audio by Deluxe.
It has been announced that OKLAHOMA! will be included in the new box set, The Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection on Blu-Ray to be released April 29th of this year, 2014. Also included is already released The Sound of Music and South Pacific. Also exciting is the inclusion of other previously unreleased on Blu-Ray: State Fair, Carousel and The King and I... A must have box set. Hopefully they have at least done 4K remasters on all the movies in the set! Here is the bluray.com link below:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Rodgers-and-Hammerstein-Collection-Blu-ray/99159/

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Matt Hough said:
Her show with her husband at Radio City Music Hall in the early 80.s was the best I've ever saw!!!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
In October of 2014 the restored Todd-AO OKLAHOMA! was released in a multi-format set including Blu-ray and DVD.

I trust the people here more than anywhere, so I'd like something verified.

Is it true that the Blu-ray in the set uses the restored Todd-AO version, but the DVD is only the old, horrible Todd-AO mess that was on the old DVD?

If it's true, I won't ask why they did this, because I'm sure I won't like the answer. I just want to know if it's true. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks