What's new

"Oklahoma!""Carousel" "The King and I" coming to UK (1 Viewer)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The Todd-AO 30fps restoration of Oklahoma is going to be in 4K DCPand no 70mm prints as reported @ in70mm.com.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
The Todd-AO 30fps restoration of Oklahoma is going to be in 4K DCPand no 70mm prints as reported @ in70mm.com.
Could very well be due to some cross-frame fading, Can-Can had the same issue and therefore it was also decided not to do any prints of that one.

MarkW2

Agent
Real Name
Mark White
The Rodgers and Hammerstein films are the reason I collect movie musicals. Each is amazing, and deserves the treatment Sound of Music and South Pacific got on Blu-Ray. I hear a restoration of Carousel was completed recently, and now Oklahoma! I hope the reason for the wait it is quality. I have owned every released incarnation of these, and they have never had the treatment they deserve. The dvd of the Todd-AO version was a shock, and a let down. The two films we have so far on Blu-Ray are amazing. Like night and day from the dvd releases. This news makes me so excited. Who else on here has been waiting patiently for these?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
MarkW2 said:
The Rodgers and Hammerstein films are the reason I collect movie musicals. Each is amazing, and deserves the treatment Sound of Music and South Pacific got on Blu-Ray. I hear a restoration of Carousel was completed recently, and now Oklahoma! I hope the reason for the wait it is quality. I have owned every released incarnation of these, and they have never had the treatment they deserve. The dvd of the Todd-AO version was a shock, and a let down. The two films we have so far on Blu-Ray are amazing. Like night and day from the dvd releases. This news makes me so excited. Who else on here has been waiting patiently for these?
Me. For a long time. Each year I think this will be Fox's special box set release for the fall, and so far nada. Maybe 2014....

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The South Pacific and Sound of Music Blu-rays are so stupendous that the prospect of having Oklahoma (both versions), Carousel, The King and I, and Universal's Flower Drum Song in that kind of shape is a damned holy grail.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Charles Smith said:
The South Pacific and Sound of Music Blu-rays are so stupendous that the prospect of having Oklahoma (both versions), Carousel, The King and I, and Universal's Flower Drum Song in that kind of shape is a damned holy grail.
AMEN!!! And let's not forget both R&H versions of "State Fair"!!! :thumbsup:

MarkW2

Agent
Real Name
Mark White
It great to hear so many others chime in about these films. I'm waiting every year too. I'm also wondering if there will be a blu-ray release of the live Sound of Music, with some of the other R+H films released at the same time. Would be a great chance to get these films out on blu ray if the live Sound of Music is a hit. I also wish for a complete restoration of the South Pacific roadshow version.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Charles Smith said:
Pains me to say it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Flower Drum Song. Universal's anniversary release simply slapped a sticker on the old DVD. Why would they change now? Universal is what it is.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Rick Thompson said:
Pains me to say it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Flower Drum Song. Universal's anniversary release simply slapped a sticker on the old DVD. Why would they change now? Universal is what it is.
Flower Drum Song is unique in that it's solely owned by the Rodgers & Hammerstein Estate...since they're in the process of fully restoring their entire film canon, it stands to reason that we'll eventually see it released via their distribution agreement with Universal/Comcast...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just hope when Flower Drum Song does reach Blu-ray, it gets a transfer that's not an outdated and slathered in DNR. "I Enjoy Being A Girl" has always been grainy because of the optical effects.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Count me among those who have been waiting...but the word "patiently" does not describe it correctly.

All of them are greatly wanted (with a lesser emphasis on Carousel for me). But, The King and I should be a revelation in HD. I am not waiting patiently at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks